Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, 35 yrs, Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

Mazda Tribute Terrible road noise with my Mazda Tribute.

Customer Question

Terrible road noise with my Mazda Tribute. Tires only getting 40 K miles on them. Current set of tires are Firestone. Is there a fix to this problem? Need to get new tires before winter. I hate to trade in the car, it's paid for, but the noise is deafening. Can you recommend tires that give a better result?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.

tracker40 :

Hello, I am Randall. I took your question as I own a 2004 Tribute and am very familiar with the ride and road noise it can produce. I do however need to know,, you say new tires but.. how many miles are on the current tires? are you faitly convinced it is tire noise and not hub/wheel bearing problem developing? if tire noise,, did this happen right after you put the Firestones on?

Customer:

Current tires are Firestones and have approx. 40 K on them. I just had a left rear bearing replaced and new brakes all around. So, if it needed other hub/wheel bearing problem it should have been discovered. Also, the tires that came with the car started with the deafening road noise (after about 20 k miles). And, second set of tires started with the deafening road noise at approx. the same time. The ford dealership says the tires are cupped really bad, just like before. So, I don't think the noise is from anything other than whatever is wrong with the car. In my research so far I have found many complaints stating that the negative camber is toed in on these cars and that Mazda won't do anything about it. Is that true?

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Certified, 35 yrs, Diag/Electrical Specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Very sorry for the delay. Was off a little early last night. At any point have you had the alignment checked and if so, did they give a report or say anything is/was out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was just aligned on 7/13/11. And, it was out of alignment.

Camber -1.3 -1/0

Caster 1.8 1.4

Toe -0.14 -0.09

Thrust Angle -0.33

Camber -0.3 -0.2

Toe -0.76 -0.10

New Tires were BF Goodrich long tail T/A Tour P235/70R16 on 10/22/08.

Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
so are tires beginning to cup agian? if so,, what ones? front rear?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The tires are cupped and have been for several months. I'm trying to find out what kind of tires to buy so they last a while. The tires that came with the car and the ones I purchased after 40,000 miles or so the B.F. Goodrich tires, both sets of tires cupped badly and the road noise is deafening. All I want is decent tires, the car is aligned, has new brakes, new rear shocks, a new rear bearing and I don't want to trade it in. All I want is tires that won't cup and make deafening road noise. I would like to enjoy my car quietly. If this road noise problem is a Mazda problem, is there a fix????
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Ok, first off, a vehicle alignment is usually not that cause of cupping. Cupping is casuded by a suspension problem or.. as yout mention.. a lower grade of tire. Cupping from suspension is when the tire begins to kind of hop and as they age,, the hop cups the tire. I am not there looking at the suspension but lower balljoints a wore early on this model.My ride is a little noisy but surly not deafening. The Tribute was really never known for its ride quality. back to your question.with so many different tires out there.everyone will have many different opinions. I sold tires through Goodyear and know several brands well.what you need to look for are the ire ratings. They are like 520 tread, A traction B temperature. The 520 means tire rated for 52K miles, A means the best traction and B means temperature is average. On our Tribute we have theses exact ratings on Continental tires called the "contitrac" tire. They seem to really be doing well. Michleins are near #1 in tires and probably your best bet but pricey. Kumho tires get a real good rating. Its the Kumho Ecsta tire. the better the rating code? the better the tire. If cupping on front only? be sure to have that suspension checked again for lower joints as well as swaybar links. very common. I suggest going to tirerack.com where there is a wealth of information and reviews for near all tires. My favorite? Michelin tires. Second are the Kumho and 3rd are Dunlop.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I'll try your recommendations.
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. as an owner of a Tribute as well as working on them for customers. I know the vehicle very well. Please... lmk if i can help or be more detailed in any way. Tires are difficult but.. rest assured .. something else is happening to cause tire cupping. I am all too familiar with this issue on many makes/models. its just tough calling the right shot. I am here to help anytime so please ask/ Thanks