Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

2003 Mazda Protege LX: auto transmission..slip..accelerate..Engine RPM

2003 Mazda Protege LX with auto transmission. Has started to "slip" occassionally when trying to accelerate in high gear. Engine RPM goes up but no acceleration. 110,000 miles on it. Been treated with TLC and all serivces.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

If the transmission is slipping in 4th gear while accelerating, here is a list of possible causes.

If the check engine light is not on and the OD light is not on or flashing, this indicated that the computer has not determined that there is a fault in the system. Verify that there are no fault codes or lights on.

If one or both of these light come on, then a fault code will be stored and this will lead you to the system that is causing your concern.

If the fluid level is full and clean, I suggest that you continue to drive the vehicle until a fault code is stored in the computer or the concern happens all the time.

Otherwise a long list of diagnosis steps will need to be performed to determine where the fault lies. (fluid line pressure test, stall test, solenoid testing, wiring and module testing.)

There are no common faults for your concern. These transmissions have been very good.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Engine flares up or slips when upshifting or downshifting

• When accelerator pedal is depressed at start, engine speed increases normally but vehicle speed increase slowly.

• When accelerator pedal is depressed while driving, engine speed increases but vehicle speed does not.

• There is clutch slip because the clutch is stuck or the line pressure is low.

• Clutch stuck, slippage (forward clutch, 3-4 clutch, low and reverse brake, 2-4 brake band, one-way clutch)

• Line pressure low

• TP sensor malfunction or misadjustment

• VSS malfunction

• Input/turbine speed sensor malfunction

• Sensor GND malfunction

• Shift solenoid D malfunction

• Shift solenoid E malfunction

• Shift solenoid A malfunction

• Shift solenoid B malfunction

• Shift solenoid C malfunction

• Pressure control solenoid malfunction

• Body GND malfunction

• Accelerator cable misadjustment

• Control valve body malfunction

• Poor operation of mechanical pressure

• Selector lever position disparity

• TR switch position disparity

• Before following troubleshooting steps, make sure that Automatic Transaxle On-Board Diagnostic and Automatic Transaxle Basic Inspection are conducted.