Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, 35 yrs, Diag/Electrical Specialist

Mazda when i go over a bump my car makes a clunking sound

Customer Question

when i go over a bump my car makes a clunking sound coming from the rear left or right strut boot that what i heard. could it be the struts or the shocks
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.

tracker40 :

Hello, I am Randall. what is the year and model of the mazda?

Customer :

06 mazda 3

tracker40 :

checking some things. back shortly

Customer :

okay

tracker40 :

How are you telling the noise at rear ? listening or grabbing hold of the shock? or something else?

Customer :

i am listening to it when i am driving

tracker40 :

is it like a rattling sound on bumps

tracker40 :

You opened a second post so just use this one. thanks

Customer :

okay its like a clunking sound like a shock but i not sure if it is that i am going to get it checked out again

tracker40 :

there is a noted problem mazda has had with clunks in rear end area.A new bushing needs to be installed on each end of swaybar near the end links as shown. mazda has updated part #

Full Size Image

tracker40 :

Some vehicles may exhibit a rattle / clunking noise from the rear stabilizer control link when driving on a rough road. Due to excessive impact while driving, a lateral force is applied to the rear stabilizer control link ball joint that creates a gap, resulting in the rattle noise.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

OUTLINE OF REPAIR

Install rubber bushing (A) and ring (B) at both rear stabilizer bushings (F= Front of vehicle). If any unusual noise, excessive clearance, damage on control link boot is found, replace the failed control link at the same time.

Customer :

is that like a recal

tracker40 :

No, not recall but a TSB or bulletin. You have to pay but.. there are new parts to fix the problem

tracker40 :

here is the TSB #

tracker40 :

Bulletin No: 02-008/09

Last Issued: 08/19/2009

Subject
NOISE FROM REAR STABILIZER CONTROL LINK

Customer :

okay where can i find that site where it is listed

tracker40 :

You will not be able to pull up the full TSB. I can only send to you. You can view them at www.alldatdiy.com under TSB

tracker40 :

You can review title of TSB but not full one unless you google the TSB # you may find it

tracker40 :

here are the new part #

Full Size Image

Customer :

so is that the problem

tracker40 :

No way for me to say. I am not there checking it. Mos tlikley is as many owners reported this and Mazda corrected with new parts

tracker40 :

Common problem

Customer :

okay thanks so much

tracker40 :

You have shocks on the rear not struts and they generally will not cause that type of noise

tracker40 :

You are welcome. if it comes down to it. not too expensive and not hard to do

Customer :

okay and is there a shock boot covering it up

tracker40 :

yes

Customer :

when i move the boot around it make a rattling noise

Customer :

could that be it thats making the noise

tracker40 :

then you need to have someone check that close could? be bad shock boots. I can only send info as I know.

Customer :

okay sure

tracker40 :

The boots can make normal noise like that by hand but still lean to the bushings just below them

Customer :

so do i print that digram off and take it to get it fixed to show them

tracker40 :

give the shop the TSB#. Any shop can pull up the full TSB on their computer

Customer :

what is the number

tracker40 :

I sent the TSB #, you did not get it/?

tracker40 :

here it is again

tracker40 :

Bulletin No: 02-008/09

Last Issued: 08/19/2009

Subject
NOISE FROM REAR STABILIZER CONTROL LINK

Customer :

i no i never got it

tracker40 :

did you get it this time>?

Customer :

yes

tracker40 :

ok, thats what you use

Customer :

okay i wrote that down and i willl go do that tomorrow thanks

tracker40 :

your welcome

Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.