Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, 35 yrs, Diag/Electrical Specialist

Mazda 6 I am trying to replace a water pump on a Mazda 6 with

I am trying to replace a water pump on a Mazda 6 with a 3.0 engine. How does one go about getting the crankshaft pulley off without damaging the pulley. I can not find a puller locally and the Mazda does not loan or rent out the pulley remover. Any suggestions? I have already
started to project and can not drive the vehicle to a dealer or repair shop.

I have learned a lesson here, but hope it is not totally the hard expensive way.

Thank you,

Paul K
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.

tracker40 :

Hello, I am Randall. I know you have looked for puller but,, you do not need Mazda special puller as shown, you can use a multi balancer puller as shown. Autozone carries this set for $20 in my area. You have to use a puller and needs to be the style shown. If you have an Autozone, advance or even NAPA store around, they should be able to supply the puller

Full Size Image

tracker40 :

Full Size Image

tracker40 :

Part Number: 27019

Alternate Part Number: AZ189

Warranty:

1 YR

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT]ShopRunner[/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

FREE 2-Day Shipping
learn more | sign in

Customer:

You are the expert, but I think maybe I did not make myself clear. I am trying to remove the pulley for the camshaft

Customer:

so I can remove the waterpump. That pulley is pressed on, I do have the diagram, but to get the pulley to pull off, I need to have something on the backside of the pulley as well as the front, so I can remove it without bending the pulley.

tracker40 :

Do not follow. you originally wrote crankshaft, now you write camshaft I suspect you need info on how to get crankshaft pulley off correct?

Customer:

Yes, the large pulley directly above the waterpump. The pulley covers the bolts holding the waterpump to the block. That is the pulley, I maybe have my descriptions wrong. The engine has the waterpump on the drivers side of engine, it is a 3.0 and the only pulleys are the waterpump and the large one above it. This pulley is pressed on. How to remove it without buying an expensive tool from Mazda would be appreciated.

tracker40 :

Ok You are talking about eh actual pump drive pulley. You have to get the special tools. No other options or yes,, you will break or bend pulley. You can use the same puller i sent info on to get pulley off but.. to press back on, requires the install tool just for this engine.

Full Size Image

tracker40 :

Install

Full Size Image

Customer:

I was afraid you were going to say that. I expect the pulley is cheaper than the tool right.

tracker40 :

good question. i do not know price of tools as you do. Let me see if i have pulley price but may not

tracker40 :

I think I know where you are going with this.be advised,the press fit is very hard. You will still need the tool to put pulley back on.no way to just tap it on

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Certified, 35 yrs, Diag/Electrical Specialist
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.