Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Mazda Master Technician

My driver side door is locked from inside and wont open.

My driver side door is locked from inside and won't open. The securilock light is lighted on the dashboard. How do I fix this?

HiCustomer Let me put the Zoom Zoom back in your Mazda!

What year make and model is your vehicle?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a 2001 Mazda Tribute

Can you use the key in the driver door to unlock it?

Will the Tribute start?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I can unlock it from the outside with the key.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, the Tribute will unlock and start. It simply locks you into the driver's side no other doors are locked from the inside just the driver's side.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does this help with diagnosing theproblem? Do you think I need to take it to an authorized Mazda dealer?
It sounds like you either have a problem in the latch itself or this inside door lock button. Either way you would have to remove the door panel to investigate further. If you can't do remove the door panel yourself then you will need to take it to a local mechanic. It does not have to be an authorized Mazda dealer unless that is what you prefer.

If you don't have any resistance on the door lock button then the problem is most likely not inside that latch. If you have resistance when pushing the button from lock to unlock and back but the door still will not open then the problem is probably inside the latch. If the door will open from the outside but not the inside then the problem is likely the cable going to the inner door handle or the end that holds the cable. I have seen a couple where the end breaks off and does not hold the cable in place anymore which makes it impossible to open the door from the inside.