Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Mazda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Mazda Diagnostics

Rx: the engine coolant warning light keeps coming on

On my Mazda rx8 (2006) the engine coolant warning light keeps coming on, but not all the time, the engine coolant levels are good. Any help would be grateful.

Welcome to! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

This is actually a "known problem" and Mazda has issued a re-designed coolant resevoir tank (that has the level sensor built in) to correct the problem. The coolant level sensor float in the coolant reserve tank (A) is deteriorated and absorbs coolant. The float gets heavy, and sinks, causing the the coolant level warning light comes on. As a mass-production change, the design of the float has been modified.