Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Mazda Master Technician

Mazda MPV LX i have a 2002 mazda mpv with code p0752. shift

Customer Question

i have a 2002 mazda mpv with code p0752. shift solenoid a stuck on, what does it mean and what do i need to do to fix this problem
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 3 years ago.

Mazda Ed :

Hi [USERNAME]! Let me put the Zoom Zoom back in your Mazda!

Mazda Ed :

The first thing you want to do is check the level and condition of the transmission fluid. If it is low then top it off and if it is very dirty you will need to have it flushed.

Mazda Ed :

This could be a problem with the solenoid, the shift valve or the Transmission Control Module

Mazda Ed :

The Mazda diagnostics for this code aren't that good. Basically if the fluid is good then they want you to replace the valve body.

Customer :

the fluid is new

Mazda Ed :

This would cover the solenoid and the shift valve at the same time.

Mazda Ed :

Did this start after changing the fluid?

Customer :

yes, it shift well from 1 to 2. after it will rev freely instead of going to 3. after it get warmed up, it will refuse to move

Customer :

in any gear

Customer :

it started before the fluid change

Mazda Ed :

It sounds like there is a mechanical problem which is going to require replacing the valve body.

Mazda Ed :

There could be a short on the wire controlling the solenoid. That would have to be checked with a meter and is a somewhat involved procedure.

Customer :

are you saying i should change the solenoid and valve body

Customer :

what is the procedure, i am a mechanic

Mazda Ed :

The solenoid is attached to the valve body.

Customer :

yes

Customer :

about 9 of them

Customer :

where can i buy them and what is the price like

Mazda Ed :

Bear with me here... there is a bit of information to relay on checking the solenoid

Customer :

ok

Mazda Ed :

Shift Solenoid A is terminals I and J on the connector going into the transmission

Mazda Ed :

If you disconnect the plug and look at the side connected to the trans

Customer :

i don't have the pin lettering chat

Customer :

ok

Mazda Ed :

It is the 5th column over top and bottom pins.

Mazda Ed :

You can measure the resistance there first. Should be 14-18 ohms

Mazda Ed :

If all is good there then plug it back in and you will have to backprobe the wire to check and make sure it is not being commanded on with voltage at all times.

Mazda Ed :

If all is good there then you need to get inside the transmission and examine the valve body

Customer :

how do i check the back probe

Mazda Ed :

You can try swapping the shift solenoids to see if the problem changes

Mazda Ed :

The shift solenoids have 1 wire connector and get grounded through the body of the sensor

Customer :

swap which ones

Mazda Ed :

Shift Solenoid A is in the row of 4 solenoids... it is the one with the electrical connector facing the opposite way

Customer :

can you send me a diagram if you have any

Mazda Ed :

To answer your question about backprobing... that just means you will need something like a safety pin to push in through the back of the connector to touch the wire or you can pierce the wire insulation and measure like that

Mazda Ed :

just be sure to cover the spot that you pierce if you do it that way

Customer :

oh ok

Mazda Ed :

Shift solenoids B and C are also in the row of 4 solenoids

Mazda Ed :

They are one the opposite end.... once you get in there you will see what I am talking about.

Customer :

i will open it up first thing in the morning

Customer :

how much do they cost?

Customer :

can i buy them from the dealer

Mazda Ed :

I'm not sure if Mazda sells them individually

Mazda Ed :

You can check them out... they sell shift solenoids, they may have yours

Customer :

how much is the kit and how many are in it

Mazda Ed :

Check this link out for some diagrams

Mazda Ed :

I don't have part #s or pricing for these solenoids... you will have to call the dealer and check that link

Customer :

ok, i will contact you tomorrow after i have done all you asked and will let you know. is there any other ideal you want me to try

Customer :

?

Mazda Ed :

The only other thing is to remove and disassemble the valve body to check the movement of all of the shift valves. Not something for the faint of heart.

Customer :

ok

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.