Amedee, Mazda Technician
Experience:  ASE Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Mazda Protege LX my 98 mazda protege wont start i turn the

my 98 mazda protege wont start i turn the key and the dash lights and odometer come on for a sec then go out windows roll up but very slowly and the interior light works
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

It sounds to me like you might just have a battery issue, bad connection, blown fuse or fusible link causing you no crank condition. Electrical can be very difficult to diagnose so please stick with me and read this very carefully. There are a few possibilities here that it could be. We are going to need to run a few tests to see what is going on. Don't worry... these tests are really easy! I can walk you through this diagnoses.

The first thing we need to do it check the battery with a voltmeter. A fully charged battery must have enough cranking capacity to provide the starter motor and ignition system with enough power to start the engine over a broad range of ambient temperatures. It could be bad or just low on a charge. If the battery is bad, it can still cause a no crank condition even if it has a full charge. I would rec to get it load tested at a shop or at a battery store. A battery load test will verify the actual cranking capability of the battery. This is the best test. Or you can take a voltmeter and put it on the battery and crank the engine over. (Be sure the battery has a full charge on it.) If the volts drop below 9.6, the battery is bad and needs to be replaced! Just be sure all cable connections are clean and tight. Not only at the battery, but on the starter, engine and frame! Positive side as well as the negative side.

The only other things left would be a bad neutral position switch, bad ignition switch or a wiring or connector problem.