Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  25 yrs. experience with all makes and models. Factory trained on Nissan and Subaru.
2921078

can bad shocks mess up your tires also, rotors need replacing what can happen if they

can bad shocks mess up your tires?
also, rotors need replacing?
what can happen if they are not replaced soon enough?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
HI there!
Bad shocks can cause the tires to cup and wear the tread unevenly. Not like lower tread on one side then the other. Like you would see with a bad wheel alignment, but more of an uneven up and down in the tread. Very hard to explain on the internet.
Here is a picture of what I am trying to describe.
graphic
The bad rotors will cause a pulsation in the brakes and possibly in the steering wheel when stopping. This will continue until they are replaced.
Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had a blow out today while on the Interstate. There was a two inch hole in my front right tire.

I realize this is probably the result of hitting a curb or pot hole last week (we had noticed a "bubble" in the tire two weeks ago and we had totally forgotten to fix it due to some serious illness in the family). I guess I'm wondering if either of the things that I previously mentioned could have the effect of making the tires more susceptable to experience a blow out. Here's another problem. Yesterday I used the emergency brake while parking on a hill. Forgot to release it until I started smelling burning rubber on the back right tire. . It's difficult figuring out what the priority should be. It's very important to make it as safe as possible due to the fact that my sons and I will be travelling 150 miles RT several days a week for the next 90 days. I'll pay you for the answer if you could just give me a reasonable estimate I might expect. Does $250 sound right for front shocks,$350. for labor? $100.for rotors, plus & $120 for labor? Thanks.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Priority should be brakes, I assume you put a new tire or new set of tires on.
The bubble was likely a broken belt in the tire from a pot hole, this is more common due to low tire pressure. It makes the tire soft and it can break the inside belts that way.
So the shocks are more of a long tern issue. Over time it can cause tire wear, but if the tires don't look like the pic, they aren't a big issue.
The estimate on the front struts seems accurate. I am coming up with about $558 plus a wheel alignment.
Rear rotors installed is pretty close as well. I am coming up with about $160 for the pair of rotors and 1 hour labor.
Sounds like a fair estimate, at least in the ball park.
Mike V., Technician
Experience: 25 yrs. experience with all makes and models. Factory trained on Nissan and Subaru.