Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

A 2007 cx7 Engine surges under acceleration, cel light is..runs better

Customer Question

I have a 2007 cx7 Engine surges under acceleration, cel light is on, do not know the code. It runs better as the engine wrms up.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi welcome to JA.com.I will answer your question the best I can,

Pop down to Autozone tomorrow and get a free code read out, so we both can sort out this issue of yours

Need further assistance Just ask.
Regards Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Greg

Sorry it too so long to get back to you:

Here are the codes:

P0455

P2177

P2187

Yhe o2 sensor was replaced and the car ran well for 3 days, then it went back to surging. The problem has not dotten worse and the car runs better after it has been driven a little while. It does not surge at higher speeds (even when accellerating), a constant speed and it idle smoothly.

Thanks

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

I will have to pass this on to my friend and fellow expert, as my info system is down
but don't worry he will take good care of you.

Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have not heard anything back yet, should I expect an answer?
Expert:  Drew replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Drew and I will be glad to assist you.

Hello. New expert here.

Sorry for the delay.

If you have already replaced the front air fuel ratio sensor (oxygen sensor?) the next step will be to replace the high pressure fuel pump. The fuel pump is a common failure that will also cause you fault codes. A new high pressure fuel pump and PCM reflash should resolve your concern.

Make sure to double check the part number for the air fuel ration sensor and verified you installed the correct Mazda part.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks

Drew

TSB: 01-038/10

MULTI-MODEL - VEHICLE HESITATION OR SURGING / O2 SENSOR SIGNAL FAILURE

BULLETIN NOTE

• This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletins 01-016/08 issued 03/17/08, 01-031/09 issued on 07/10/09 and 01-038/10 issued on 06/18/10. The APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS, REPAIR PROCEDURE, PART(S) INFORMATION and WARRANTY INFORMATION have been revised.

• Changes are noted below in Red.

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2007-2009 CX-7

2007-2009 Mazdaspeed3

2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6

DESCRIPTION

Some vehicles may experience hesitation or surging when accelerating after engine warm-up. These symptoms may be noticed by the customer before a MIL illumination with DTC P0134, P2096, P2097, P2177, P2187, P2188, P2195, or P2237 is stored in memory. This may be caused by a front O2 sensor signal failure due to a crack on the primary or secondary O2 sensor cells.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Verify customer concern.
2. Disconnect front O2 sensor connector.
3. Test drive vehicle to verify symptom disappears.
4. If symptom disappears, replace front O2 sensor with a modified part according to Workshop Manual (section 01-40 HEATED OXYGEN SENSOR (HO2) REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [L3 WITH TC]).

NOTE: To avoid O2 sensor damage, refer to Service Bulletin 01-032/10 "Oxygen / Air Fuel Ratio Sensor Removal Caution" before removing O2 sensor.

5. Verify repair.

PART(S) INFORMATION

Part Number

Description

Qty.

Applicable Model

L33L-18-8G1E-9U

Front O2 Sensor

1

CX-7

L33X-18-8G1C

Front O2 Sensor

1

Mazdaspeed3

L3M6-18-8G1F

Front O2 Sensor

1

Mazdaspeed6

TSB: 01-022/08

MULTI-MODEL- ROUGH IDLE, LACK OF POWER, AND/OR MIL ON WITH DTC P2177/P2187 (FUEL SYSTEM LEAN)

BULLETIN NOTE

This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin issued on 03/27/08. The REPAIR PROCEDURE has been revised.

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2007-2008 Mazdaspeed3 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1BK**** ** 859606 (produced before November 22, 2007)

2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6 vehicles

2007-2008 CX-7 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3ER**** ** 196510 (produced before November 19, 2007)

DESCRIPTION

Due to low fuel pressure at the high-pressure fuel pump, some vehicles may experience the following:

• Rough idle, stall, and/or hesitation under cold conditions.

• Intermittent lack of power during acceleration when the engine gets hot.

• MIL turns on with DTC P2177/P2187 (fuel system too lean at off idle).

This is caused by a delayed fuel pressure build-up from the high pressure fuel pump. There are two main reasons for this:

1. The drive current from the PCM is not enough for some fuel pumps.

2. Some fuel pumps have slower response.

To fix the problem, the PCM software and the specification of the high-pressure fuel pump have been changed. Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Reboot the IDS to clear memory before reprogramming.
2. Using IDS 51.9 or later software, reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration (refer to "Calibration Information" table) by following the "Module Reprogramming" procedure.

NOTE:

• Always update the IDS tool first, then follow on-screen instructions to download the needed calibration file for PCM reprogramming.

• It is not necessary to remove any fuses or relays during PCM reprogramming when the IDS screen prompts you to do so. You may accidentally stop power to one of the PCM terminals and cause the PCM to be blanked, or you may receive error messages during the IDS reprogramming procedure.

• IDS shows the calibration part numbers after programming the PCM.

• Please be aware that PCM calibration part numbers and file names listed in any Service Bulletin may change due to future releases of IDS software, and additional revisions made to those calibrations for service related concerns.

• When reprogramming a PCM, IDS will always display the "latest" calibration P/N available for that vehicle. If any calibration has been revised/updated to contain new information for a new service concern/issue, it will also contain all previously released calibrations.

• When performing this procedure, we recommend that a battery charger be installed on the vehicle battery and turned ON to a maximum charge of no more than 20 AMPS to keep the vehicle battery up to capacity. If you exceed 20 AMPS, it could damage the VCM.

3. For vehicles built before April 7, 2007 that are experiencing the conditions as noted in this service bulletin after the PCM calibration update, perform a Warranty Vehicle Inquiry using your eMDCS System and inspect Warranty Claim Inquiry Detail for high-pressure fuel pump replacement.
  • If no prior history of replacement, replace the high-pressure fuel pump. Refer to MS3 online instructions or Workshop Manual section 01-14 FUEL PUMP UNIT REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.

• If the history indicates part number L3K9-13-35ZB was used during a repair, use the following illustration to inspect the production date of the high-pressure fuel pump. Replace it if the production date is before March 26, 2007.

Date of production is marked as a 4 digit code "YMDD" at the pipe.

Y for Year

4 for 2004....7 for 2007

M for Month

1 for Jan....9 for Sept, X for October, Y for Nov, Z for Dec

DD for Date

01 for 1st of month....31 for 31st of month

Example

"4Z16" means Dec 16, 2004; 7608 means June 8, 2007

CAUTION: When replacing the high-pressure fuel pump, it is very important to make sure that the tension collar is present before reinstalling the pump. Failure to do so will result in excessive engine noise and the subsequent failure of the high-pressure fuel pump and its cam lobes.

4. After performing the PCM reprogramming procedure, verify the repair by starting the engine and making sure there are no MIL illumination or abnormal warning lights present.

NOTE:

• If any DTCs should remain after performing DTC erase, diagnose the DTCs according to the appropriate Troubleshooting section of the Workshop Manual.

• After PCM reprogramming, it is no longer necessary to road test the vehicle to "relearn" KAM (Keep Alive Memory).

5. Fill out an "Authorized Modifications" label (P/N 9999-95-AMDC-97) with the new PCM calibration information, your dealer code, and today's date.

6. Place the "Authorized Modifications" label on the "A" pillar below the tear tag in the driver door jamb.

CALIBRATION INFORMATION

Mazdaspeed3 (52.2 or later software)

Spec

New PCM Calibration Part Number

File Name

CA

L39R-18-881D

SW-L39RED000

Fed, Canada

L39S-18-881D

SW-L39SED000

Mazdaspeed6 (51.9, 52.2 or later software)

Spec

New PCM Calibration Part Number

File Name

CA

L38G-18-1881G

SW-L38JEG000

Fed/Canada

L38K-18-1881G

SW-L38KEG000

CX-7 (51.9, 52.2, or later software)

Spec

Model Year

Drive

New PCM Calibration Part Number

File Name

CA

2008

2WD

L39L-18-881D

SW-L39LED000

4WD

L39M-18-881D

SW-L39MED000

2007

2WD

L33L-18-881T

SW-L33LET000

2WD(*)

LKYX-18-881B

SW-LKYXEB000

4WD

L33M-18-881T

SW-L33MET000

4WD(*)

LKYZ-18-881B

SW-LKYZEB000

Fed/Canada

2008

2WD

L39N-18-881D

SW-L39NED000

4WD

L39P-18-881D

SW-L39PED000

2007

2WD

L33N-18-881T

SW-L33NET000

2WD(*)

LKZ1-18-881B

SW-LKZ1EB000

4WD

L33P-18-881T

SW-L33PET000

4WD(*)

LKZ2-18-881B

SW-LKZ2EB000

Mexico

2007

2WD

L39J-18-881F

SW-L39JEF000

4WD

L39K-18-881F

SW-L39KEF000

(*): TI-110/07 (Engine Pinging and/or Lack of Power During Acceleration) applied vehicles.

NOTE: The PCM Calibration Part Numbers listed above are provided for PCM reprogramming purposes only. These are not necessarily the same Mazda part numbers used to order an actual PCM through the Mazda Parts System. It is not necessary to order a PCM as part of this repair procedure.

PART(S) INFORMATION

Part Number

Description

Qty.

Note

L3K9-13-35ZC

Pump, Fuel

1

A new part can be used in place of the former part, but the former part cannot be used in place of the new part.