Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Mazda Master Technician

mazda need a fuse box diagram for a 1999 mazda protge

Customer Question

need a fuse box diagram for a 1999 mazda protge
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 3 years ago.

Hi!

Do you need help with a 1996 or a 1999? You have both of them listed in your question. What circuit do you need help with?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i need diagram for a 1999
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 3 years ago.
I can't really give you a diagram because of copyright issues.... what circuit do you need to work on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when i turn my headlights on my tail lights dont come on but my turn signals and stop lights do work.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 3 years ago.

Ok, do you have a meter or test light for doing some diagnostics with me?

Do the lights on the instrument cluster work?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no they dont .the tail ights and cluster lights both went out at the same time
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 3 years ago.

Do you have a meter or test light for doing some diagnostics?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 3 years ago.
Ok, at the 15amp fuse marked TAIL.. check for power on both legs with the lights turned on and the fuse installed in the fuse box. Also listen for a click sound from the TAIL Relay when the parking lights are turned on.
Mazda Ed, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Mazda Master Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thats why i need a diagram of the fuse box i dont know which is the tail fuse the stop lights work when i press on the brakes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do i know which one is the tail fuse if i dont have a diagram of the fuse box?
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry I though the names were labeled on the cover. It is TAIL fuse # XX. There are 3 rows of fuses on the side of the fusebox that looks flat. It is the middle row of fuses...3rd fuse down. The next spot after fuse 15 is a blank spot.

So that row sound be 10amp, 15amp, 15amp (this fuse), blank spot, 15amp, 15 amp

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so i turn on the lights and touch fuse with tester and both dides of fuse should light up?
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 3 years ago.
Correct... and be sure to listen for the TAIL relay to click when the park lights are turned on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the fuse was burnt so i replaced it but it burned out so i replaced it with a 20 amp and the lights are working . why would it burn out the 15 amp fuse ?
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 3 years ago.
Because the fuse is doing it's job! I would remove that 20amp fuse ASAP so we can find out where the problem is. By putting in the wrong fuse you risk burning up a wiring harness instead.