Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Mazda B2500 1999 Mazda B2500 timing belt broke. local shop

1999 Mazda B2500 timing belt broke. local shop replaced it but says there is no compression in all four cylinders. Is this possible? I thought this was a non interference engine
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Your correct the 2.5 liter engine is not an interference engine, this means they have the belt incorrectly installed which means it is setup out of time. They must redo the belt job and get all the marks correctly aligned. If you need these steps, I can supply them.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. They said the timing marks on the cam pulley and the other (oil pump) pulley were lined up correctly. Where should the mark be on the bottom pulley when doing this?

I thought it was physically impossible to damage the valves when breaking a belt on a non interference engine. They said the used a compression check on all four cylinders and there was no compression in any of them.

It is not impossible to bend the valves on a non interference engine. If the belt broke at a very high RPM like 5,000 then yes it can cause valve damage from connecting rod stretch.

I still believe its incorrectly timed, In the event you want to believe them then i would sign some paper work wanting proof of the valves hitting the pistons once the head is off.

If there 100% sure the timing is correct but unsure about the crank pulley then they possibly have it at top dead center exhaust not compression meaning the crank pulley is 180 degrees out.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks again. I will mention this on Monday. I would have to think this might be the case, seems hard to believe a valve could be bent in all four cylinders when breaking a timing belt doing 25 mph.

Any other thoughts on the no compression issue?

Of course there is a possible issue with a blown out head gasket but there is still some compression shown and a broken belt and head gasket failure do not occur at the same time.

Glad I could help, if there is nothing more needed, please do not forget to reply and say I accept.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The more I think about it your answer makes sense. If the crank was off 180 degrees the a valve(s) would be open at TDC correct? I remember him now talking about checking the timing marks in degrees on the end of the crank but isn't this refering to ignition timing?

I really apprecieate your responses, might have just saved me a lot of money. Truck was running great until this.

Yes its sounds like he has no clue how to time the crank if he is referring to degrees since there are marks there to correctly set it up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I remember him showing me white numbers on what I think was the pulley and again this must have something to do with ignition timing. So just to reiterate, the crank timing should be set per your illustration first then line up the marks with the oil pump pulley and cam pulley?

thanks for all of the responses.

I will post all the directions so you have them to show them what to do. Download HERE

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Wow, thanks. I was not looking forward to replacing the head/valves on this or searching for a new vehicle just yet. Hope this is it
Glad I could help
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years of experience