Amedee
Amedee, Mazda Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Mazda 626 DX I have a 1998 Mazda 626..the car wont start

I have a 1998 Mazda 626..the car won't start and was told by a mechanic that the problem was the alarm. I took it to an alarm shop and they said that the alarm was factory installed and seemed to be OK. He felt the problem was mechanical. The alarm guy started the car by pushing it and popping the clutch but as soon as he let his foot off the accelerator the car died. The original mechanic said they jumped the car through the starter and it started (Don't understand that) but the car would then just stall out. I don't know if you help or understand the problem by my description. Anything you can tell me would help at this point. Thanks
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Does the engine crank over and not start or does it not even crank over at all?

Does the check engine light come on with the key on?

Are there any codes in the computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the engine does not crank at all. When they started it by pushing and popped the clutch it stalled as soon as they let up on the gas. No lights come on when we turn the key. I don't know about the computer codes.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
So there is no anti theft lights or security lights on or flashing on the dash with the key on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok..There are a few possibilities here that it could be. We are going to need to run a few tests to see what is going on. Don't worry... these tests are really easy! I can walk you through this diagnoses.

The first thing we need to do it check the battery with a voltmeter. A fully charged battery must have enough cranking capacity to provide the starter motor and ignition system with enough power to start the engine over a broad range of ambient temperatures. Even if its charged, it could still be bad causing a no crank condition! I would rec to get it load tested at a shop or at a battery store. A battery load test will verify the actual cranking capability of the battery. This is the best test. Or you can take a voltmeter and put it on the battery and crank the engine over. (Be sure the battery has a full charge on it.) If the volts drop below 9.6, the battery is bad and needs to be replaced! Just be sure all cable connections are clean and tight. Not only at the battery, but on the starter, engine and frame! Positive side as well as the negative side.

If all checks out, make sure that you have battery voltage on both terminals of the starter when cranking. If full battery voltage (12.6 volts) is present and the starter is not working, then the starter is bad and will need to be replaced! Just be sure all fuses small regular and large size fuses are good under the hood, as well as inside the vehicle

The only other things left would be a bad neutral position switch, bad ignition switch or a wiring or connector problem.
Amedee, Mazda Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector