marcpod
marcpod, owner of collision repair advice
Experience:  BASF, i-car, 18 yrs exp/collision/ mechanical/ licensed adjsuter
17579256

Mazda 6 how do you set the time on a 2006 mazda 6 2.3l non

Customer Question

how do you set the time on a 2006 mazda 6 2.3l non turbo? i cant find any marks on the crank pulley or camshafts. i have already made sure the #1 cylinder is at tdc but cant set the cams till i figure out how they should line up?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  marcpod replied 3 years ago.

marcpod :

Welcome here is the procedure.

marcpod :

TIMING CHAIN REMOVAL/INSTALLATION L3

Warning

• Fuel vapor is hazardous. It can very easily ignite, causing serious Injury and damage. Always keep sparks and flames away from fuel.
  • Fuel line spills and leakage are dangerous. Fuel can ignite and cause serious injuries or death and damage. Fuel can also irritate skin and eyes. To prevent this, always complete the "Fuel Line Safety Procedure".
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the plug hole plate.
  3. Remove the spark plugs.
  4. Remove the tire (RH).
  5. Remove the under cover.
  6. Loosen the water pump pulley bolt and remove the drive belt.
  7. Remove the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor.
  8. Drain the engine oil.
  9. Remove the P/S oil pump with the oil hose still connected and position the P/S oil pump so that it is out of the way.
  10. Remove the front drive shaft (RH) from the joint shaft.
marcpod :
  1. Remove in the order indicated in the table above.
  2. Install in the reverse order of removal.
  3. Start the engine and:
    • Inspect for the engine oil, engine coolant, transaxle oil and fuel leakage.
    • Verify the ignition timing, idle speed and idle mixture.
  1. Perform a road test. Crankshaft Pulley Lock Bolt Removal Note
  1. Remove the cylinder block lower blind plug.
  2. Install the SST.
marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-1zwkvjol- :

is there any marks on the camshafts that would indicate where they should be when reinstalling to line up with the crankshaft

marcpod :

1. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the crankshaft is in the No.1 cylinder TDC position (until the balance weight is contacting the SST)
marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :
  • Hold the crankshaft pulley using the SSTs. Chain Tensioner Removal Note
  • marcpod :
  • Hold the chain tensioner ratchet lock mechanism away from the ratchet stem using a thin screwdriver.
  • Slowly compress the tensioner piston.
  • Hold the tensioner piston using a 1.5 mm (0.059 in) wire or paper clip. No.3 Engine Mount Rubber and No.3 Engine Joint Bracket Removal Note
  • marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :
  • Slowly compress the tensioner piston.
  • marcpod :
  • Suspend the engine using the SST. Engine Front Cover Removal Note
  • marcpod :
  • Remove the oil seal using a screwdriver as shown. Oil Pump Sprocket Removal Note
  • marcpod :
  • Hold the oil pump sprocket using the SST. Oil Pump Sprocket Installation Note
  • marcpod :
  • Hold the oil pump sprocket using the SST. Timing Chain Installation Note
  • marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :
    1. Install the SST to the camshaft as shown.
    2. Install the timing chain.
    3. Remove the retaining wire or paper clip from the auto tensioner to apply tension to the timing chain. Engine Front Cover Installation Note
    JACUSTOMER-1zwkvjol- :

does the smaller chain thats located behind the timing chain go to the oil pump? if so do i need to turn or line it up with anything as with the camshafts the #1 cylinder is already at tdc but the small sprocket still rotates

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :
    1. Apply silicone sealant to the engine front cover as shown. Caution
      • Install the engine front cover within 10 minutes of applying the silicone sealant.
      • Silicone sealant is not needed in the area indicated by C as shown in the figure as it is a seal.

Thickness
    A: 2.0 - 3 .0 mm (0.079 - 0.118 inches)
    B: 1.5 - 2.5 mm (0.059 - 0.098 inches)

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :
  • Install the engine front cover bolts in the order as shown. Front Oil Seal Installation Note
  • marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :
    1. Apply clean engine oil to the oil seal.
    2. Push the oil seal slightly in by hand.
    3. Compress the oil seal using the SST and a hammer. No.3 Engine Mount Rubber and No.3 Engine Joint Bracket Installation Note
    marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :
    1. Tighten the stud bolt of the No.3 engine mount bracket. Tightening torque 7.0 - 13 Nm (71.4 - 132.5 kgf-cm, 62.0 - 115.0 inch lbs.)
    2. Hand-tighten the No.3 engine mount rubber and No.3 engine joint bracket.
      Full Size Image
    marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :
  • Tighten the bolts and nuts in the order shown. Crankshaft Pulley Lock Bolt Installation Note
  • marcpod :
  • Install the SST to the camshaft as shown.
  • marcpod :
    1. Install the M6 x 1.0 bolt in by hand.
    2. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the crankshaft is in the No.1 cylinder TDC position (until the balance weight is contacting to the SST).
    marcpod :
    1. Hold the crankshaft pulley using the SST.
    2. Tighten the crankshaft pulley lock bolt in the following two steps using the SST (49 D032 316).
    1) Tighten to 96 - 104 Nm (9.8 - 10.6 kgf-cm, 70.9 - 76.7 ft. lbs.)
    2) Tighten 87°- 93°
    1. Remove the M6 x 1.0 bolt.
    2. Remove the SST from the camshaft.
    3. Remove the SST from the cylinder block lower blind plug.
    4. Rotate the crankshaft two times clockwise until the crankshaft is in the TDC position, reinstall the SSTs to the camshaft and cylinder block, and inspect the valve timing.
      • If not aligned, loosen the crankshaft pulley lock bolt and repeat from Step 1.
    marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :
  • Install the cylinder block lower blind plug. Tightening torque 18 - 22 Nm (1.9 - 2.2 kgf-cm, 13.3 - 16.2 ft. lbs.) Cylinder Head Cover Installation Note
  • marcpod :
    1. Apply silicone sealant to the mating faces as shown. Caution
      • Install the cylinder head cover within 10 minutes of applying the silicone sealant.

Thickness 4.0 - 6.0 mm (0.16 - 0.23 inches)

1. Install the cylinder head cover with a new gasket.
    marcpod :
    1. Tighten the bolts in the order shown. Tightening torque 8.0 - 11.5 Nm (81.6 - 117.2 kgf-cm, 70.9 - 101.7 inch lbs.)

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

Expert:  marcpod replied 3 years ago.
    What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
    Expert:  marcpod replied 3 years ago.

follow these instructions there are no timing marks

Expert:  marcpod replied 3 years ago.
    yes