Tim Mohr, ase master
Experience:  30 yrs experience in Foriegn and Domestic, Gas and Diesel
17454363

no coolant loss, and 165 to 180 psi compression worst to best cylinder

Customer Question

Sudden whitish smoke LOTS of it, no coolant loss, and 165 to 180 PSI compression worst to best cylinder.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is Tim, if there is alot of white smoke, then this IS antifrezze burning, you may not see the loss of coolant yet, but it will, you need to have the heasgaskets checked, the best way to do this is with a chemical test on the cooling system, the parts houses sell this test kit for about 25 dollars, and it will test for exhaust gasses in the coolant, if there are gasses in the coolant then the headgaskest are blown,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's not antifreeze, to further test this I drained the coolant and replaced with water.

Also, the oil pressure light used to flicker at idle, then it would come on full at idle, then it would come on even with engine revs, but not be on when the engine was cold, and now it is on all the time. This change would occur with the smoke, the smoke lingers for a long period of time in the yard/street. I've not driven it enough to know if it's losing oil, since it is smoking way too much to drive. The smoke used to be intermittent. Meaning that sometimes it would smoke upon startup and for a few minutes, and sometimes it would not. Now it smokes all the time, right from start up, engine sounds the same, it had good power, just a ton of smoke.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
ok, if the smoke lingers then its oil, if there are no knocking noises in themotor and the compression is good, then its most likely valve guides that are bad, if it were rings, the compression would be lower, so if you are 100% sure its oil burning, then the valve guides are the suspect, its about the only thing that will cause this much smoke and not cause a drivability problem,tim