Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master certified, 30 years experience. Auto troubleshooting, electrical , ABS, SRS, EFI system

2002 Millenia: Mazda..gas tank..the release button while I slip a key

Mazda, 2002 Millenia has a remote gas tank cover release. Hasn't worked in over 3 years. I can open it, if someone pushes the release button while I slip a key into the edge of the cover. I have been very fortunate that total strangers are willing to assist me. That said, it would be nice to have a reasonable solution. Dealership tells me that the replacement part would exceed $500. Seems like an excessive amount. Any ideas, short of snipping the rod under the cover, and using velcro to keep cover closed?

Hello and welcome to Just, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

That actuator is rather expensive. I would try this first, (before the velcro)

Bend the little tang that the rod goes into, a little farther away from the actuator. Spray some WD-40 on the door hinge and a little bit on the actuator rod as well. If you need 2 people to open it, then that means that the actuator is doing something. Also, you may want to check and possibly adjust the door's tension spring. Just bend it out a little to put some more pressure on the door, and when the actuator rod moves it should pop the door opened.

1. Fuel-filler lid
  2. Lift spring
  3. Fuel-filler lid opener
  4. Fuel-filler lid opener switch