Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

Mazda: There is an Ac compressor recall..trip..restart

Customer Question

There is an Ac compressor recall on my Mazda cx7. Ac not working so I turned off ac and made appointment with service. Later on same trip, after driving about 4 hours, stopped for break and when I tried to restart car it would not start. Had to have it towed to Mazda where it still sits until they open Monday. Could the ac compressor going out cause other problems in car or domyou think this is an unrelated issue? Car was last serviced on Jan. 3 and has had regular maintenance.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Drew replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

I have seen the AC compressor seize up on these and cause the ac to quit working. The problem with the AC compressor is that they seize up internally. This usually allows the pulley to rotate and engine to continue to operate.

If the compressor gets hot enough, the bearing in the pulley will seize up. This will either cause the belt to break or the engine to stall and not crank.

When the AC compressor fails, the fuse for the AC compressor clutch may blow. This fuse is only for the AC and will not cause any other engine electrical concerns.

The new AC compressor comes with a new belt and should get you back on the road.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Drew replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the accept.

Let me know if you have any problem in the future.

Drew Cool