Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

Mazda Is there a reset button for an 2004 mazda 6 (2.3 L)

Is there a reset button for an 2004 mazda 6 (2.3 L) ? My son broke his oil filter cover and started leaking oil and the engine shut down. I fixed the oil problem and the car still turns over but does not fire. Is there a reset button that I need to push? Thanks for your help.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Drew replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be glad to assist you.

There is no oil/engine reset. You can try to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. The car will not shut down if a low oil concern is present. It sounds like he melted the engine down.

Sorry for the bad news.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Drew

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Every Mazda site and every Mazda tech that I talked to said that the motor shuts down when low oil pressure is detected on the 2.3 l. The motor still turns over normally. I just don't see any sign of it firing.
Expert:  Drew replied 3 years ago.

Then try the disconnect the battery procedure.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thanks. I just tried the battery disconnect and will let you know in about 15 minutes. It is only 10 degrees here and the car is outside.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It did not work. Just continues to turn over with no sign of spark or fuel.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
are you still there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what's going on Drew?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
please let me talk to someone with Mazda experience. Two hours and no response from Drew.
Expert:  Drew replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I was having dinner with my FAMILY. I would hope you could understand.

Looks like you haven't had any luck with someone who has Mazda expierence.

Sounds like your research with Mazda sites and techs is incorrect or they would have told you were the reset button is.

I have NEVER seen any Mazda engines shut down from low oil pressure. I have replaced broken oil filter housings and engines on many of these cars, caused by damaged oil filter housings during oil changes.

Perform a compression test to verify the engine is any good.

Here is a list of items to check for cranks no start.

Verify there are no aftermarket remote start/alarm systems installed. Remove is so.

Check all fuses and relays. Swap Main relay and fuel pump relay with other like relays. Check for any fault codes stored in the PCM.

Engine CKP (crankshaft position sensor) is a cause for no spark or fuel.

Thanks for your PATIENTS,

Drew

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Drew,

Sorry, I was way out of line. I am sure that you know what you are doing and are very qualified. My reaction was a result of desperation on my part and I apologize. I have 2 boys at home and I am a single, unemployed guy who has to travel back to CA in the morning to take my elderly aunt back to MA. My kid is a senior in high school and relies heavily on his car to get to work and school. I guess I was expecting a $16 miracle cure and when that did not happen, I became frustrated as everything has gone wrong over the past few months. Car problems, family illnesses, furnace issues, loss of job, etc.

Again I am sorry for my attitude and hope that you and your family are doing well. If you have any more ideas, I can be reached at wbrown122 at hot mail.

Thanks for everything and I hope that I did not ruin your day. I am sure that you are just another family guy trying to earn an income in this crazy economy. I will hit accept answer. You earned your pay today and deserve whatever this site gives you for your time. I will also give you favorable feedback.

Take care and be well.

Regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Drew replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your understanding Wayne.

I'm very sorry to hear about all your mis-fortunes over the past few months. I wish I had a $16 dollar repair for you, however I don't.

If it was a shop that did the last oil change, I would take it back to them for the engine repair.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions and I will be GLAD to answer them for you.

Take care and Safe travels.

Drew

Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience: 19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.