KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY QUESTION CORRECTLY
5629372

i just replaced my power steering pump on my 2004 mazda 3 and it still isnt working.

Customer Question

i just replaced my power steering pump on my 2004 mazda 3 and it still isnt working. i been told it needs to be reprogrammed, is this true? if so how much should it cost to fix? also, if it doesnt need to be reprogrammed what could be the problem?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 6 years ago.

KALAMYKID :

The first thing I need to know is did you flush out all of the old fluid? And what fluid did you put back into the system to top it off with?

Customer :

prestone powersteering fluid + stop leak

Customer :

and yes i flushed it

KALAMYKID :

After replaceing a power steering pump there is nor reprograming that can be done. What you will have to do is bleed out all the air from the system. This is done by turning the wheels all the way to the left and then all the way to the right. This is much easier to do if the front wheels are off of the ground. You may have to let the system sit for 15 mimutes with the engine off so the air can escape from the fluid and repeet.

KALAMYKID :

If you have all the air out and still do not have power assist then the rack can have a valve stuck in it.

KALAMYKID :

The first thing you need to do though will be to drain the system oput again and flush out the power steering fluid. This system uses dextron III transmission fluid.

KALAMYKID :

Regular power steering fluid is to thick.

Customer :

ok i will check this out first thing in the morning and i will let you know the results. thank you

KALAMYKID :

You are very welcome.

KALAMYKID :

did flusdhing the system out and putting the correct fluid take care of you problem?

Customer :

no after flushing and changin the fluid it did not fix the problem, so i took it to one of my friends and he fixed it for me. he told me that it did require reprogramming and he got his hands on one of the codes. after reprogramming the power steering pump is working perfectly fine

KALAMYKID :

Thank you