Amedee, Mazda Technician
Experience:  ASE Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Mazda MPV: I changed the alternator but it..same thing happened

Customer Question

I have a Mazda MPV 2001. I changed the alternator but it doesn't charge. I repeated the same operation and the same thing happened. I would need for you to guide me through this problem. Thanks in advance.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  yogimechntech replied 5 years ago.

yogimechntech :

Hi there.

Have you tested or replaced the battery at all

Customer :

the battery is new, energy is reaching the alternator and as i turn the key it has energy signals to the alternator. the battery light stays "On" in the dashboard. Any other ideas???

yogimechntech :

Ok, you would need to check the charge rate both at the back of the alternator and across the battery.

Do this and get back to me with the results

Customer :

there is no charge in the back on the alternator or in the battery. Does the vehicle computer controls the charge to the alternator and battery?? Do you have an electrical diagram showing the charge on a 01 MPV??

yogimechntech :

The power from the alternator is controlled by a regulator this is within the alternator itself.

I'm sorry I dont have access to a wiring diagram, I will opt out of the question so another expert can provide you with one.

I would recommend Drew.

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. New Expert here!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....

Here is a wiring diagram for your charging system.

You are going to need to check for power going into the back of the alternator with the key on and engine running.