Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

2000 Miata: Check engine light is either on or flashing..enough fuel

Check engine light is either on or flashing in my 2000 Miata. It does not get enough fuel to the engine when it's very cold. It has been in the shop numerous times. The catalytic converter was replaced & cleaner has been put in the injectors. This has been going on for a year (only during the winter months.) I am not getting good mileage when this roblem occurs.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Sounds like you have a misfire condition.

Have you replaced the ignition coil or wires??

have you replaced the spark plugs??

Do you know what the check engine light fault codes are ??

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
spark plugs have been replaced. ignition coil has not. The code that showed up was PO500 which the service guy told me was a random misfire. When this problem randomly occurs the car shakes & acts like it wants to die as I am starting it. Then it barely putts along. I can push the accelerator to the floor & it will only go 30ph. After driving for a short distance it will suddenly clears out & runs like it's supposed to. It is kept in a garage & this does not happen first thing out of the garage but only after it has sat outside for a little bit.

I would replace the spark plug wires first. You may have a wire arching to ground causing your concern. If that does not resolve your concern, suspect a faulty coil.

Code P0500 is for the VSS. I think you ment code P0300, which is a random misfire.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks in advance for the accept.

Drew Cool