yogimechntech, Mazda Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Mazda Technician with extensive experience at Mazda franchise dealer service dept.

2004 mazda: heavy oil usage..mirage..possible cause

Customer Question

experincing heavy oil usage on 2004 mazda6 milage ioo,oo. possible cause. engine seem fine
Category: Mazda
Expert:  yogimechntech replied 5 years ago.

yogimechntech :

Hi there
It is certain that if there is no external leak from the engine that there is an internal fault causing oil burning. Most likely oil rings and/or valve guide seals.

Would a compression test help to determine the cause of burning about 1 quart every 1000 miles?There are no visible oil leaks.What would you recomend.

yogimechntech :

Doing a compression test will show you the condition of the compression rings.

If its burning that much oil there is definitely an oil control ring fault. I would recommend either a second hand motor, new oil rings (which will consist of an engine recondition) or trade the car in on something else.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but I find its easier to simply tell it how it is.

thank you