Amedee
Amedee, Mazda Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2001 Mazda Tribute: V6..000 miles..I have driven a long distance

Hi I have a 2001 Mazda Tribute V6 that has about 80,000 miles on it. Lately, it has been having problems starting. It seems like after I have driven a long distance and do alot of quick starts & stops then it will not start. It will turn over but then just die. If I keep trying to start it will not even turn over. If I let it sit for over an hour or more then it will start again. It had only happened twice but now even in the morning it has trouble starting. It takes like 2 or 3 times. I have read other people's comments and it sounds like the same thing is happening to me but it doesn't say what they need to do to fix it. Please help!
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

It sounds to me like you either have a vacuum leak or a bad IAC motor. Both are very common!

Verify that it is not a lean running concern by metering in propane into the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF), to see if the engine likes additional fuel. You can check the mass air flow sensor signal on the Light Blue and Red wire with volt meter. Voltage should be .6 to .9 volts at idle. If voltage is not within specification, test the power and ground circuits at mass air flow sensor next. Make sure sensor is plugged in, and use test light to test both power and ground circuits. White and Red wire is power and Black wire is ground.
If power and ground circuits are ok, but the mass air flow signal voltage is not in specification, suspect faulty mass air flow sensor. If the mass air flow sensor is ok, monitor the short fuel trims during the concern and spray carburetor spray around the upper intake gaskets, if the fuel trims now drop into the negative, suspect upper intake gasket leaks.

You can also check the Barometer (BARO) reading on a scan tool for a contaminated/out of range MAF sensor.

Also, If okay, check the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) % on a scan tool to see if the PCM is commanding the IAC open. The higher the percentage, the faster the idle should be.

To test the Idle Air Control (IAC) solenoid, back probe the WT/LB wire at the solenoid with a jumper wire. Using an assistant, start the engine and hold the throttle at(NNN) NNN-NNNNRPM so that it will stay running. Ground the other end of the jumper wire and the engine RPM should flair to around 2000-2500 if the IAC solenoid is okay. BARO at sea level should read 152-159 H

Potential Causes:
Circuit
Leaking Intake Air Leak
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor
Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Leaking Upper Intake Gaskets
IAC motor
Amedee, Mazda Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It doesn't sound like I could do these things myself. Should I just go take it in to a mechanic here. I live in Maui so we don't have alot of options. If I take it in what would it cost to fix these things? Should I just print your answer and show him.

Thank you!

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
THe price will depend on what is wrong with your vehicle and what the shops labor rate is at.

The IAC and mass air flow sensor themselves are not very expensive. If either of these two were at fault, I would think your bill diagnosing, fixing and parts and labor with tax would not be over 500 bucks.