Tim West
Tim West, ASE certified
Experience:  ASE certified Service Manager
9949505

Mazda Tribute: Misfire..changing..Spark Plaus and #3 Coil

Mazda Tribute Misfire after changing Spark Plaus and #3 Coil. Still misfiring. What can I do?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Tim West replied 3 years ago.

Tim West :

Thanks for visiting Just Answer,

Tim West :

Is the misfire code combined with any other codes?

Customer :

no, not that I know of

Customer :

I have not had it checked for any additional codes since the repair

Tim West :

Ok, since the plug and the coil have been ruled out, it would be likely the injector could be bad. They don't fail as often as a coil, but they do fail.

Customer :

if it is number 3 again, will they have to drop the maifold again? It was expensive

Tim West :

The injectors are 60 bucks a pop, it takes 1.3 hours to replace one (130 bucks) to replace an injector should cost about 200 bucks.

Tim West :

You don't need to drop the manifold again, but you have to remove the fuel rail.

Customer :

when I rewturn to the mechanic, is that something that will show up on the comuter when he takes a reading?

Customer :

I only want to do this once

Tim West :

Just as a misfire, otherwise he should of caught the problem. YOu could have them clean out the injectors too see if it helps, but it might just be best to replace the one.

Tim West :

Make sure he checks for a leak in the manifold gasket

Tim West :

CAuse if it's letting air into the system it could be misfiring.

Tim West :

It might be a good idea to have the engine light scanned on your own from Autozone (they do it free)

Tim West :

and let me know what codes are stored.

Customer :

ok

Tim West :

That way we can check their work.

Customer :

how do I get in touch with you again

Tim West :

I guarantee a shop isn't going to blame their work.

Tim West :

Just log back into the site.

Tim West :

I will be here

Customer :

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX get back to you today

Tim West :

Cool

Customer :

Hello Tim,

I went and got the car to have the codes checked and the engine light had gone off and the car is reunning normally. I did not want to check it while the engine light was off. I also did not wish to hold up your payment while i wait for it to come back on. Any suggestions?

Customer :

I went to Autozone and they read the check engine light code. It was as follows:

Code - PO301 & PO306

Cynlinder 1 & 6 misfire detected

Probable Cause
1.)aa1- lean air/fuel ratio 2.) aa2- Weak Ignition System 3.) aa3- Engine Mechanical Condition
4.) aa4 - Vacuum Leak affecting one Cylinder

That was all I have

T. Clarkson

Tim West, ASE certified
Experience: ASE certified Service Manager
Expert:  Drew replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

This is a friendly assist from another expert, since Tim has stepped out for a few days.

The most common failure on these is the ignition coils. I would replace #1 and #6 ignition coil and recheck. Look for any sign of water/oil in the spark plug hole. This will cause a coil to fail.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks and have a Happy New Year.

Drew