Mazda expert
Mazda expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 years experience
22989858

2004 Mazda 6: 110,000 miles..check engine light..ignition coil..intake

Hi! I have a 2004 Mazda 6 with 110,000 miles. I took it to my dealership with a check engine light on, for which they replaced the ignition coil and intake tube. They also cleaned the fuel injection system. Now the car is not downshifting when I take my foot off the gas. The RPM's go down, but the car just coasts - very scary to drive! They tried replacing the throttle body assembly and gasket, but that did not fix it. The Regional Mazda engineer is supposed to look at it sometime this week, as they can't figure out what the problem might be. Any thoughts?

Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

Most often this is caused by a faulty solenoid in the transmission itself it's , using a scan tool checked to see if there are any trouble codes stored in the memory of the PCM

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Was part of your answer cut off? This is what I received:

"Most often this is caused by a faulty solenoid in the transmission itself it's , using a scan tool checked to see if there are any trouble codes stored in the memory of the PCM "

No nothing was cut off just tell me what trouble codes are in the memory
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, I was waiting to hear back from the dealership. They said the only error code that came up when I had the check engine light on was P0306 which they said indicated Cylinder #6 ignition coil was shorting out internally. They also said the intake tube was torn, allowing in unmetered air. They replaced both, and cleared the fault codes. No new codes are coming up. Yet I'm still having the issue of the car not shifting down when I take my foot off the gas, at any speed.
This is often caused by a faulty shifts solenoid the transmission or a faulty valve body, you'll need a factory scan tool and checked to see if you are getting the proper speed signals from the turbine sensors