Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

Mazda 6 The low beam headlights on my 2009 Mazda 6 quit working

Customer Question

The low beam headlights on my 2009 Mazda 6 quit working last night. I have checked the fuses in the box in the engine compartment and the bulbs themselves, and all are good. Is there a relay that needs to be replaced or something else? My service department in closed until Monday and I need to drive this car to work tonight!!! Help, please!!! Thanks!!!!!
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

There is a relay for the headlights. Lets start by checking for voltage to the bulb. Use a meter to check for 12V to both headlights and ground, with headlight switch on low beam.

Let me know your results.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I pulled the driver's side headlight (easiest to get to....), removed the bulb from the holder and checked the socket with my meter. There was no voltage... Do you think it is a relay? Where is this relay located? I really appreciate your assistance!!!!!
Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

Lets check voltage at the headlight low beam fuses next. This will tell us if the relay is working. Use your meter to probe the two small holes on the top of each low beam fuse. Voltage should be 12V with low beam switch on.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just checked the voltage at the fuses as you wanted. NO voltage on the low beam fuses (LH or RH). I then put lights on high beam and checked those fuses and got 22vDC on both LH and RH. Sounds like no juice to the fuses! AH HA... are we making progress? Thanks again for your assistance. I look forward to hearing from you!
Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

The headlamp relay feeds all high and low beam fuses. If there is voltage to the fuse in the high beam position, I am going to rule the relay is good. We will need to check to see if we have voltage to the relay when headlight switch is in the low position. First try and swap the relay with another like relay to rule it out while I get the wiring diagram and location for next test.

Also let me know if your car has HID lights, daytime running lights and if the low beam works in auto position??

Also try and disconnect the battery. Touch the cable ends together for 30 sec. Clean and reconnect. This will reset the modules and retest operation of low beams.

graphic

graphic

Edited by Drew (supermazdatech) on 12/18/2010 at 6:15 PM EST
Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

Also try and jumper 12V to each low beam fuse to verify the circuit from the fuse to the bulb is good. The low beam bulb should illuminate when 12V is jumped to each low beam fuse.

Let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Drew,

I will do the testing as you requested..... BUT.... it's time for me to go to work (2nd shift). Can we continue this tomorrow? If so, how do we do this? Please answer back soon...

Thank you again for all your help!!!

PS> The low beams do not work in auto position either. There is no low beam function at all. My wife had to drive home last night with high beams on, but she said no one flipped their lights at her as if to say "dim you lights".... Does this mean anything?

Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

Yes we can resume tomorrow. Just hit the reply button when you have your test results.

Some high beams are not in aimed high enough to make people think you have your high beams on, especially in a car that sits lower to the ground. That may be why she never was flashed to turn her high beams off.

Have a nice night and I will talk to you tomorrow. I do have church in the AM, so be patient in my response.

Thanks Drew

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bad news..... I disconnected the battery like you suggested, and now my car won't start. An icon appeared on the dash that I looked up in the manual. It says that I have immobilized the security system... I am not happy... I also broke the relay in the process of trying to get it out to change. I've been out today trying to find one, and of course, it is a special order part that costs $48.00. Do you know what I need to do to reset the car so that it will at least start? I at least need the car to run. Trying to fix this is costing me more money than taking it to the dealership!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please respond ASAP. Thanks.
Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.
Does your car have push button start or does it use a switch blade key??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Switch blade key.
Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

Put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position. Disconnect the battery again. With the key still on, reconnect the battery. See if the car will start now.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That didn't work.
Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

Does the engine crank but not start??

Does the theft light flash fast while trying to crank the engine??

Do you have a spare key you can try??

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We bought the car used, so we only have the one switch-blade key. Yes the light flashes very fast when we try to start it. The engine will not crank at all, but the inside lights work and the display on the radio display says "HELLO" and "GOODBYE" as usual.
Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

Make sure the battery is charged and leave the key in the ignition, turned to the on position for 10min. Then see if the car will start.

I would be a good idea to get a spare key made in the near future.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That didn't work either. The people at the auto parts store today told me I would probably have to call the dealer tomorrow to get some type of code. I am very upset. It seems that the info you've given me has made my problem worse than it was. I'm sure you feel bad about it, but if I have to have the car towed and pay a big repair bill to the dealer, I'm going to be very mad. I don't have money for Christmas, let alone for a big repair bill. What do you think is going to work to get this car started?
Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

There is no code that the dealer can give you. The Mazda dealer will need to hook up their computer and reprogram your key using special tools and procedures that only the dealer can do.

How many miles are on your car??

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

70365 miles

Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

Ok. It sounds like the computer is not reading your key for some reason. Just disconnecting the battery should not cause this. The key code is stored in the module until reprogrammed. I would continue to retry disconnecting the battery and hopefully the key will eventually be read by the receiver,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tried the battery thing again... no change. I think I'm done here. Just wondering where to send the bill for the repairs.... I am VERY upset.

Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for your string of bad luck. Happy Holidays

Drew

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My BAD LUCK???? I did exactly what you, a so-called "SuperMazdaTech" told me to do. Where do I send the bill for my repairs? You said earlier that you went to church today, are you a Christian? If so, how do you feel, knowing you have probably cost me a lot of money with your bad advice???? You have ruined any hope I and my family had for a good Christmas.... I'll be spending all my money fixing the damage you caused. Thanks a lot for your condolences. To me you're just another hypocrit hiding in church.

Merry Christmas!

Expert:  Drew replied 3 years ago.

I feel terrible about your bad luck. Frown

I have used my knowledge and expertise to help save thousands of customers MILLIONS of dollars in unnecessary repair money on their vehicles. This was not my first rodeo.

It is kind of like a home computer that just crashes without any warning. You know your car had a very difficult concern, related to the both low beam headlamps not working, leads me to believe that there are going to be some module problems with your car. It isn't a simple fuse, bulb or relay like 98% of other cases.

Unfortunately your case is different. To help you out, I will submit a request for refund on your deposit.

Please let me know, with a update, of what your final repair is the resolves you concern.

Thanks again for your time.

Drew