jettadan1
jettadan1, Technician
Experience:  Mazda Technician
17254274

2000 mazda 626 v6 overheating

2000 mazda 626 v6 overheating
Category: Mazda
Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.

jettadan1 :

Is fan working properly

jettadan1 :

I am thinking you need a water pump but just need to qask you a couple of questions.

jettadan1 :

Also when replacing the thermastate you will want to test it as they have been known to be bad even though new.

jettadan1 :

you would just boil water to get it to open at 190 it should open. Make sure you get all the bubbles and air out after replacement

jettadan1 :

if the is air between the thermastate and coolant it will have to over heat to open.

Customer :

yes, fan wasn't working properly when I first got it but now after I replaced fan relay now the fans due kick on. One thing that I did notice is that the bottom hose where the thermostat is located wasn't getting hot at all. Also, I didn't get any any surge when I squeezed the bottom hose. The top radiator hose was getting hot.

Customer :

how do you bleed this system?

jettadan1 :

You would want to run with cap off until bubbles are gone if temp gets to 3/4 hot turn off and let cool down when it cools down it will bleed some of the air

jettadan1 :

Then when it cools down start it again til you dont see bulbbles. or it hits 3/4 again then turn it off again.

jettadan1 :

it a pain I know.

Customer :

I tried to let it run with cap off the resevoir since on this particular model the reservoir is actually pressurized. but it didn't seem to me that it was circulating.

Customer :

is there any definitive way to know if water pump is circulating?

jettadan1 :

if all the bubbles are out it may be the water pump then. the hose under thermastate not getting hot could be air or a water pump

jettadan1 :

If its not circulating the water pump may be out.

Customer :

with the cap off the reservior should you see movement in the reservoir tank? Or if you squeezed the bottom hose should you see any change in the level in the reservoir?

jettadan1 :

yes if you squeez hose it should push coolant

Customer :

so if it doesn't would it definitely be water pump?

jettadan1 :

http://www.ehow.com/how_7679_tell-cars-water.html if there is a air gap no. Here are some tips on a bad water pump.

jettadan1 :

The water pump doesnt have to leak to be bad if blade breaks off

Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.
Thanks and let me know if there are any other questions you have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
dan, I was able to go out in the garage for a few today and have a question for you. As I am sure your aware of there are 2 caps on this engine for cooling one for the reservoir and the other directly over the top hose from the radiator. My question is if I take the cap off the one over the radiator shouldn't I see coolant running into the engine from that point?
Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.
Yes you should see move ment one all air is out. Please let me know of any other questions you may have. I want you to understand everything.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
question one thing i notice trying to bleed it for the 3rd time is where the thermostat goes its leaking not at the connection where the thermostat is but where the pipe goes into I guess the thermostat housing. Do you know what this is called? Also, is there a way to make it stop dripping from there?
Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.
Yes I know of the two lines going into housing. well actually its the houseing before the houseing. then block right. It may need a new oring gasket. I believe its a pressure nut that screws on over male with o ring. Is this correct.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes that description seems about right.. you wouldn't happen to have a diagrahm of this?
Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.
I do but it is against copy right laws to copy and send them. You can go to autozone.com and get replacement procedures and will have diagram when you ask for thermastate repair. when you view thermastateas a part. Now print this out so you can show auto zone what you are talking about as its not the thermastate houseing but more of a hose inlet. when they see its the part between thermastate houseing and block then they will know what gaskets you need.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dan, can you tell me how to install the new o ring in the housing I don't see how it comes apart.
Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.

You dont want to damage the housing. The clamps pinch off or cut off if you will. The hose and clamp is one assembly. So you will have to replace the whole hose and clamp. Of course its a dealer tool and part. This is something when you get it back on you will have to have a hose clamp tool to crimp back on. With as complex as this could get you would want to have dealer do it with thier tools. Or at least show you hands on til your confident. If you have any other questions please let me know.

If you are not satisfied with my answer I can opt out for other experts to view your question. Your answer is the number one thing.

jettadan1, Technician
Experience: Mazda Technician