Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

2009 Mazda 3: keyless entry (remote not part..system stopped

I have a 2009 Mazda 3 with keyless entry (remote not part of the key). This evening, the keyless system stopped working. I replaced the remote battery and still nothing. My daughter drove the car today and reported that the lock button did not work. When she got home, I tried the panic, and the horn sounded. After I turned off the panic, nothing after that from any button. Is there a place i can look for a fuse or something?

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Do you have another remote to try??

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No other remote was provided when I bought the car.

Lets try and reprogram the remote. Put the key in the ignition. Open the drivers door only. Turn the key to the on position (not the cranking position)and off 3 times ending in off position. Close and open the drivers door 3 times ending in door open. The door locks should cycle to lock and unlock. Now push the unlock button on the key fob twice. The door locks should cycle again. Remove the key and test operation of the key fob.

Let me know your results.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The door locks did not cycle when the door was left open and the fob still does not function. I got in the car, closed the door, and put the key in the ignition. I opened the driver's door and turned the key on-off-on-off-on-off then closed-opened-closed-opened-closed-opened the driver's door. Nothing happened after that.
Put the key in the ignition and open the door. Does the door open chine sound with the key in the off position and the door open??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, it does.

Do the power locks work from the drivers and pass. door switch??

If the power locks do work from the switch, try the programming steps a couple times. If still no luck, disconnect the battery and touch the battery cables to gether for 30sec. Reconnect cables and clean if needed. Repete programming steps.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The door locks work from both sides, so I went onto the next step.

I tried reprogramming but this time i did not close the door before I inserted the key. The locks cycled after the door was opened the third time, but no response from the fob. When I removed the key the locks then cycled twice but still no response from the fob.

Should I still try to disconnect the battery?

You have a faulty key fob then. Since you replaced the battery and the car enters programming mode, you will have to replace the remote and reprogram.

Thanks Drew.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Glad we were able to narrow that down. Is it normal for the fob to fault like that?

Over time after being dropped, getting wet and normal use will wear them out. I replace them all the time.