jettadan1
jettadan1, Technician
Experience:  Mazda Technician

2001 Mazda b3000: heater core..heater plenum assembly still wont come

Customer Question

I am trying to replace the heater core on my 2001 Mazda b3000 (Ford Ranger) I have the dash out, everything's loose, but the heater plenum assembly still won't come out. Any ideas?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.

jettadan1 :

hello can I help you.

jettadan1 :

?

Customer :

I hope so...

jettadan1 :

ok you have the heater hoses disconnecte dright?

jettadan1 :

right

Customer :

I have everything loose including the dash, steering wheel, all hoses, a bunch of electrical etc...

jettadan1 :

ok

jettadan1 :

thanks

jettadan1 :

Let me get the rand r for us to review.

jettadan1 :

which engine do ye?ou hav

jettadan1 :

which engine do you have?

Customer :

we can mover the plenum assemble, but not enough to remove the core. There feels like a fastener of some sort is behind the plenum on the drivers side, just behind the vacuum modules that move the heater doors. the engine is a 3.0 v6

jettadan1 :

ok is it a 4x4?

Customer :

I looked from all sides, and can't see anything else to take apart. We've tried prying on it, but no good. It's a 4x4.

jettadan1 :

ok I will send you info in a sec

Customer :

torch? cutoff sheel? small hand granade...?

Customer :

there is a nearby cliff we could push it over...

jettadan1 :

click here

jettadan1 :

lol

Customer :

I've done heater cores before, and I new this would not be easy, and it hasn't been, but I've made steady progress. Now I just can't get the plenum to come loose enough to pull the core out.

Customer :

What do you think?

jettadan1 :

I know they can be tough. have you read directions i sent? is there anything you have questions on.

Customer :

Directions? Let me check my email...

jettadan1 :

have you got the evap core hoses off? have you discharged evap core?

Customer :

No. The AC chunk is loose and not attached to the interior plenum assembly.

jettadan1 :

ok

Customer :

The AC part is in the engine bay. The heater core is on the dash side.

jettadan1 :

click on that blue short cut i sent you

Customer :

Clicked on the blue short cut. Brought me back to here...

jettadan1 :

CLICK HERE

Customer :

Have you ever done one of these? Do you have access to the ford factory manuals?

jettadan1 :

yes i am sending you it now

jettadan1 :

did you see the big click here i sent?

Customer :

So I just opened the PDF and I've done all the steps, incl the firewall bolts and heat sink. (That was a bugger). Then it says to set the plenum on the floor. We can't get it to release from the firewall. ???

jettadan1 :

have you check on inside of fire wall?

jettadan1 :

is something holding it back?

jettadan1 :

clamps?

Customer :

No clamps, and I got all 4 bolts. We can wiggle the plenum assembly quite a bit. It feels like if there was still a bolt connected we wouldn't be able to move it that much.

Customer :

Did they glue them to the dash side of the firewall? Foam issues?

jettadan1 :

ok I have requested extra info on this as soon as you and I started tallking so let me check if its here. you may have to remove more trim. or bend it lol

Customer :

I just counting to see how many grenades I have...

Customer :

LIke I said, we've tried prying on it, but you have to be a little careful so you don't break anything. (Much)...

Customer :

The drawings you sent are correct. This is exactly what I'm seeing.

jettadan1 :

Ok just give them a bit more time.

jettadan1 :

It should be but a bit more

Customer :

I was going to head back to the garage. Can you call me? I won't be close to my computer. Waddya think?

Customer :

XXX-XXX-XXXX cell

jettadan1 :

take a coat hanger and work it around houseing and see if you can get it around it with out letting go or loosing sight of one end.

Customer :

I saw a magic act in Vegas where they did that. Course they had a cute girl to work with...I just have my brother...

jettadan1 :

I wish but they wont let us do personal info.

jettadan1 :

lol

jettadan1 :

you may have to cut him in half

Customer :

I'm not sure I can pull the plenum away from the dash enough to fish a coat hanger in there. I can try, but I'll have to leave the computer behind. How do I reconnect to you when I return?

Customer :

I've tried using my magic mechanic's wand, but I think the batteries are dead...

Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.
OK here we go I will post the new info when I get it. go work on it a bit more and try to take heater core out now while up and see if the houseing will slide down better. see you soon.
Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.
Just checking to see if you got new info?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately, your answer did not help me. There was no way to fish a coat hanger around the plenum. Turns out there are five bolts holding the plenum to the fire wall, not four as listed in the diagrams you sent me. Took me about an hour to find the 5th bolt, and I had to remove the heat shielding from the engine side to find it, but once removed the plenum came out. So...

Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.
Well I am glad you got it worked out. Ignore prompts for accept if you wish and happy holiday's.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry I can't pay for the advice on this particular case. In general, I liked you service, and I've saved your site in my favorites for future use. I would also recommend you to my friends for help. Thanks again. Kelly
Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much.