Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  25 yrs. experience with all makes and models. Factory trained on Nissan and Subaru.

2002 mazda millenia: After replacing the Timing belt and water pump

After replacing the Timing belt and water pump on my 2002 mazda millenia 2.5. Do I need to put everything back together before the car will start?
Hi there!
You should be able to crank the engine and have it start before putting the cover back on. Usually however you can rotate the engine by hand to make sure everything lines up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If everything lined up but it still wont start do I need to put the pumps and pullies back on before it will start.
No, you shouldn't have to. Make sure the mass air flow sensor is hooked up if you took any of the air cleaner parts off to the throttle body. The car should start with the belt on.The pulleys and power steering pump should not matter.
Possibly the alternator is the factor. As long as the T belt marks are good I would not be afraid to put it back together. Looking at the wiring diagram I think it is possible the alternator could prevent it from starting.
Thank you for the accept. I just want to add that if the crank sensor is bolted to the cover, then you will have to put the cover on to get the signal to the ecm. I can't be 100% sure as it has been a while since I have done one of these.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just wanted to thank you for the help. Once I put everything back together and inspected the CPK sensor the vehicle started right up. Appreciate the help.
You are very welcome and thank you for the accept!