Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

Mazda: rx8..tank..the car is off the leak stop

i have a mazda rx8 2004, i kept smelling gas inside the car and the car seems to be buring lots of fuel, my friend say to let the car warm up so i did, but then i saw lots of gas leaking out near the tank area. but when the car is off the leak stop. i quit driving the car till i can fix this issue.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Drew replied 6 years ago.

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist.

On the RX8, the fuel pump retainer ring cracks and causes a fuel leak. Remove the rear seat and access cover. Inspect for cracked retainer on top of fuel tank.

#2 in the diagram is the retainer lock ring. It is made out of plastic.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do i need to take off the tank and how
Expert:  Drew replied 6 years ago.

No. All you need to do is remove the rear seat bottom and the access cover.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is there anything eles i should know before starting this project, like empty gas from tank and so on.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

is there anything eles i should know before starting this project, like empty gas from tank and so on. or any special tools.

thank you

ket patan

Expert:  Drew replied 6 years ago.

You should not need to lower the fuel level in the tank, unless it is plump full. The fuel pump is on top of the tank. You will have to use a big hammer and big flat screw driver to remove and reinstall the lock ring. (if you don't have the special tool)

If you have any questions along the way just ask me and I will be glad to assist.

Perform the inspection first. You will have to get the new two piece lock ring from Mazda and a new o-ring seal.

After you Accept my answer, you can simply reply here to the Q&A for more assistance and you wont be charged any additional.

Thanks in advance for the accept.

Drew Cool