Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

Mazda Tribute: ES..rear wheel..wheel bearing..the hub and bearing

Customer Question

2003 four wheel drive ES Mazda Tribute rear wheel bearing
We are having trouble getting the hub and bearing off to remove the bearing. Would you please advise?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Drew replied 3 years ago.

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist.

Is your Tribute four wheel drive??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes it is four wheel drive.
Expert:  Drew replied 3 years ago.

This is a big job and requires a press. It will takes an average of 2 hours to replace.

Here is the procedure to replace the rear wheel bearing.

WHEEL BEARING-4WD

Removal and Installation

1. Remove the brake shoes.

Caution:

• Apply anti-seize compound to the halfshaft before removing the nut to avoid damaging the halfshaft.

1. Remove the rear halfshaft nut and discard.

1. Using the special tool, loosen the halfshaft from the wheel hub.

1. Using the special tools, remove the wheel hub.

Note:

• This step may not be necessary if the inner wheel bearing race remains in the wheel knuckle, after removing the wheel hub.
  1. Using the special tool, press the inner wheel bearing race from the wheel hub.

Vehicles with ABS

1. Position the anti-lock brake (ABS) sensor aside.
  1. Remove the ABS sensor bolt and bracket bolts.
  2. Position the ABS sensor aside.

1. Disconnect the parking brake cable.
  1. Remove the parking brake cable bolt from the wheel knuckle.

1. Disconnect the brake line from the wheel cylinder.
  1. Remove the brake line bracket bolt.
  1. Support the wheel knuckle.

1. Remove the lower shock absorber nut.

Note:

• It may be necessary to hold the ball joint stud to keep it from turning while removing the nut.

1. Disconnect the lower ball joint.
  1. Remove the nut.

Note:

1. Disconnect the upper ball joint.
  1. Remove the nut.

Note:

• Note the position of the spring insulator and spring for installation.
  1. Remove the spring.
  1. Lower the support to the wheel knuckle.

1. Remove the wheel knuckle cam bolt.
  1. Mark the position of the adjustment cam notch.
  2. Remove the wheel knuckle cam bolt.

1. Remove the wheel knuckle.
  1. Remove the wheel knuckle cam.
  2. Remove the wheel knuckle.

1. Remove the snap ring.

1. Using the special tools, press the outer wheel bearing race from the wheel knuckle.

Installation

1. Using the special tools, install a new wheel bearing into the wheel knuckle.

1. Install the snap ring into the wheel knuckle.

1. Using the special tools, install the wheel hub.

1. Position the wheel knuckle and install the wheel knuckle cam.
  1. Position the halfshaft into the wheel hub.

1. Install the wheel knuckle cam bolt loosely.
  2. Reinstall in reverse order as disassembly.

Expert:  Drew replied 3 years ago.

Hello again. Just wondering if you received all the info you requested?

Thanks Drew