Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

hi i have a 2004 mazda rx 8 and they power steering light sometimes

hi i have a 2004 mazda rx 8 and they power steering light sometimes comes on and i lose power steering at other times the steering is fine ...the local mazda dealer thinks it may b the module ....i have asked the local car breaker who has an intact rx8 just in, however the mazda guys tell him the module is connected to the brain on the passenger side of engine but he says that when he looked the brain is on the drivers side and doesnt have anything attached to it ...help please

If the warning light came on, a diagnostic trouble code will be stored in the EPS module. You will need to have your Mazda dealer scan the module for the code # XXXXX Will be a body code B???? Inspect the module connections and wires for damage and inspect the EPS rack and pinion for obvious damage first.

The EPS (electric power steering) module is located under the black cover RF fender area behind head light.

EPS CONTROL MODULE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION

CAUTION:

• If the EPS control module is replaced, set the EPS system to the neutral position. If not set to the neutral position, the system may not operate correctly. (See EPS SYSTEM NEUTRAL POSITION SETTING.)

• Do not drop the EPS control module. Replace the EPS control module if it subjected to an impact.

1. Remove the engine cover, battery cover, and PCM cover.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

2. Remove the PCM. (See PCM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
3. Remove in the order indicated in the table.
4. Install in the reverse order of removal.
5. After installation, set the EPS system to the neutral position. (See EPS SYSTEM NEUTRAL POSITION SETTING.)

1

Connector

2

EPS control module

3

Noise filter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so the module is not attached to the brain then ??? do u think it sounds lkie i will have to replace module??? the dealer tells me it will cost £1200 :(

would it be ok to replace it with a second hand one from the car breakers ...the breaker guy tells me he has an intact rx8

what u think ??
thanks

shirley

Not sure what the "Brain" is?? If you are referring to the PCM as the brain then the answer is yes. The EPS module communicates over CAN wires with instrument cluster, abs module and pcm. It could be the module but there are lots of other parts to the system.

The best thing to do is retrieve the trouble codes so we can properly diagnose the root cause for your concern.

If you have lots of money to waste and don't want to diagnose the concern, then start replacing parts. Not sure if you are doing a parts swap with the breaker guys car, or if you have to buy the parts and install them to rule out the components. It would be ok to replace it BUT may no fix the concern and don't know if you can return the parts. (usually not)

It may be a simple poor connection or steering angle sensor causing the concern??

Here is a diagram of the basic system and components:

Register Here

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks drew

the mazda guys are going to put it on the computer tomorrow and see what it shows up ...i just dont want to spend £1200 for a part that i may not need :(

thanks
Let me know your code # XXXXX I can help you diagnose the root cause of failure. After hitting the ACCEPT button < so I can receive credit for my time, you can return here to the Q&A and ask me more questions. Thanks in advance and look foreword to hearing from you tomorrow.

Register Here
Drew.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks i will let u know tomorrow

shirley
Ok.