thomas3767, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 years dealership exp.

2004 Mazda 6: 3.0 V6..leaking oil..valve cover gasket..2 seals

2004 Mazda 6 3.0 V6 is leaking oil. Mazda dealership says it needs to replace valve cover gasket, timing cover gasket, oil pan gasket and 2 seals at a huge cost. Does this sound correct? Could it be synthetic oil causing the problem?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  thomas3767 replied 6 years ago.

thomas3767 :

Hello and welcome have they replaced your PCV valve when it gets stopped up it will cause oil leaks. The only normal oil leak I see is the oil pan gasget.

thomas3767 :

I don't think the oil is your problem. They covered everything, you could have a rear main seal leaing but that would be odd.

JACUSTOMER-um50w2vk- :

They have not replaced the PCV but car has been routinely maintained so don't know if the PCV would of been replaced under normal maintenance. Car is kept garaged and has almost 60k on it and it just started dripping oil. It just seems strange ( and quite costly ) that all 3 gaskets and 2 seals need to be replaced. It would seem to me to start with the valve cover gaskets and move down. Should I request the PCV valve be replaced first?

thomas3767 :

I would have the valve replaced first. It sounds like they missed the real cause of the leak or they didn't do the repair correctly. It should not have needed all 3 gasgets at once. The shops usally see the oil and quote all possable causes to cover there liability of fixing the leak. The quote you got shold have fixed your leak, if I quoted it and i didn't fix the leak I would have to fix it for no charge.

JACUSTOMER-um50w2vk- :

The work has not been done yet only just a estimate to fix the leak. I question their diagnosis of replacing all 3 gaskets and 2 seals to fix the oil leak. How could all of them be leaking at the same time? or is it they are replacing everything just to cure a problem they are not sure of where the oil is leaking from?

I'm sorry I misunderstood. It can't be leaking from all 3 places they just see oil and are covering all passable leaks. Tell them to clean it off good with brake cleaner and add oil dye and run the engine for awhile that tell you right where the oil is leaking from.