Tim West
Tim West, ASE certified
Experience:  ASE certified Service Manager
9949505

Key stuck in ignition of 1995 Mazda Protege

Customer Question

key stuck in ignition of 1995 Mazda Protege
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Tim West replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Tim West :

Good morning.

Tim West :

There is nothing electrical to keep the key in the ignition.

Tim West :

So the problem could be a shift cable.

Tim West :

Does the shift cable move ok?

Tim West :

Or is the cable jammed too?

Tim West :

let me know, I will be around. You are offline right now.

Customer :

Sorry, I thought your response would be emailed to me.

Customer :

A shift cable? I will have to look that up. I don't know what a shift cable is. However, I'm a fairly quick study.

Customer :

I will look that up and get back to you ASAP.

Customer :

I would assume that the gear shift cable is ok.

Customer :

I do drive the car and I am able to successfully switch between P, R, N, D, 2, and 1.

Customer :

Unfortunately since the key doesn't rotate all the way back to the off position I can completely shut off the engine, so I unhook he battery and remove the 1G KEY fuse to keep the car from being driven off by some low grade thief and to keep the battery from completely draining.

Customer :

that should have read " ... I can't completely shut off the engine ... "

Tim West, ASE certified
Experience: ASE certified Service Manager
Expert:  Drew replied 3 years ago.

Make sure to inspect the shift interlock cable for movement and operation in steering column. You will have to remove the steering column covers for inspection. Use a small hammer to tap on lock cylinder while turning key. Sometimes this will unjam the tumbler that is binding. If all looks ok you will have to remove ignition lock cylinder and test key operation or replace lock cylinder.

Removal/Inspection/Installation

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Steering wheel Removal

Caution:

• Do not try to remove the steering wheel by hitting the shaft with a hammer. The column will collapse. Remove the steering wheel by using a suitable puller.

Register Here

Steering lock

1. Use a chisel and a hammer to make a groove in the heads of the steering lock mounting bolts.
  2. Remove the bolts by using a screwdriver.
  3. Remove the steering lock assembly.

Register Here

Inspection Steering shaft assembly

Note the following and replace the steering shaft assembly if necessary.

1. Column bushing damage
  2. Column bearing damage

Register Here

1. Steering shaft length Length: 492.0-495.0 mm { 19.37-19.49 in }

Register Here

1. Tilt operation
(1)Verify that the adjusting lever moves smoothly from unlock position to lock position.
(2)Verify that the steering shaft is fixed firmly when the adjusting lever is locked.

Register Here

Steering lock (ATX)
Verify that the cable connector does not move when the key is in the LOCK position and that it moves freely with the key in other positions.

Register Here

Steering lock

1. Install the steering lock assembly on the jacket.
  2. Verify that the lock operates correctly.
  3. Install new steering lock mounting bolts.
  4. Tighten the bolts until the heads break off.

Register Here

Steering shaft assembly and universal joint

Caution:

• Do not apply the shock in the axial direction of the shaft.
  1. Tighten bolts A, B and C.
  2. Tighten bolt D with the steering shaft at its upper most tilt position.

Register Here

1. The paint must be visible after tightening the bolt D.
  2. After installation, lightly tap the lower bracket at the E point shown by using a hammer to verify correct installation.

Steering wheel

Set the wheels in the straight-ahead position, and install the steering wheel.

Register Here

Horn pad (without air bag)

Caution:

• Do not install the horn pad by tapping or pressing on one side at a time. The energy absorbing material on the back of the horn pad will become deformed and the horn will not operate if it is not properly installed. Install the horn pad by lightly holding down the upper portion, then using both hands as shown in the figure, strongly and evenly press down on all sides.