Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience:  17 years shop owner import

My Mazda 626 1990 has the hold light flashing, I took it to

Customer Question

My Mazda(NNN) NNN-NNNNhas the hold light flashing, I took it to a transmission specialist who found the trans to be fine, I then took it to an auto elec who replaced the sensor, it still flashed so he replaced the whole sensor box, it still flashed.   I found a replacement computer and will have the auto elec install it.   What procedure should be taken after the replacement computer is installed to alight the computer and the car? The car operates normally with the hold light flashing on and off, it only started doing this when I moved to a colder state recently.   
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi welcome to JA.com.I will answer your question the best I can,

If the Hold indicator flashes then you will have one of the following problems

1. Throttle sensor

2. Vehicle speed sensor

3. Pules generator

4. 1 - 2 solenoid

5. 2 - 3 solenoid

6. 3 - 4 solenoid

7. Lock up solenoid

Have these 7 items checked before adding modules and control boxes to your car i don't think you need this .

The most common for this is the Throttle sensor Vehicle speed sensor have these parts checked first

Need further assistance Just ask.
Regards Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are those 7 items in the computer?
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
No the parts mentioned are

On the engine and in the transmission

Your transmission tech will / should know where these parts are

A diagnostic scann tool can be used by the shop to check for transmission related codes
and to do a diagnostic test on each of the mentioned problem areas 1 - 7

Need further assistance more than happy to help
Regards Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is starting to get complex, I was hoping I could have the computer box I purchased today fitted when the auto elec can do which is Friday. Next monday I am off to NSW where i have 2 weeks to sell the car before I go overseas so It looks like it mighty be going to a parts yard as there is not enough time to get it done. Thanks for your help anyway.
Hopefully it gets me where i am going as its aXXXXX
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Check the simple cheap parts first like the Throttle sensor this could be the problem
or the Vehicle speed sensor these two parts are both checked and replaced if needed i less than an hr.
I don't think you needed to buy these parts that you have already bought.?

Kind regards Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience: 17 years shop owner import
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just came from a day at the Mazda dealership. The car is so old (1990 ) they did not have the diagnostic program to investigate so they did some other type of examination which they relayed the findings to Mazda by phone which where then faxed back the results which enabled them to do further examination. Results as follows: checked ECU for fault codes and found codes 17 and 15 for 02 sensor, code 62 and code 63 for lock up solinoid system fualt, cleared codes and rechecked - code 63 still present - hard fault and will require further investigation. Thats $100 please.
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

Hmmmmm , That was number 7 on my list, they just said the same as i told you.

Well i know you did not need all the parts that the first transmission shop replaced,
and that the TCM did not need replacing .
What do you want to do now .

Kind regards Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am going back to your list of items that you suggested need attention first.
I have located a throttle sensor used at $70.

The parts man wants to know where to find the Vehicle speed sensor?

Once I have these parts I will find a auto elec to fit them as I will be picking the parts up on Monday on my way to NSW.

Appreciate your help, at least someone knows what is going on here!
Colin
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Colin.

I hope you have not misunderstood me, my list is what has to be checked and tested .
and thats what the dealer did and found a hard code 63 lock up solenoid system fault.
only this problem has to be addressed, don't worry about the list numbers 1 to 6
just address the number 7 issue .

Regards Greg