Amedee, Mazda Technician
Experience:  ASE Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

1995 Mazda Millenia: key in and turn the ignition..battery is dead.

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Mazda Millenia. When I put the key in and turn the ignition, nothing happens. It seems like the battery is dead. But, when I press the accelerator a few times and try again, the car starts up like nothing is wrong. Like I said, it seems like the battery is dead, but when I press the accelerator, everything turns on like normal - all the lights and the radio are working fine like there is no problem with the battery. This happens every time I get in the car, but it just started happening recently. Any suggestions?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

First thing to do is check the battery. A fully charged battery must have enough cranking capacity to provide the starter motor and ignition system with enough power to start the engine over a broad range of ambient temperatures. Even if its charged, it could still be bad causing a no crank condition! I would rec to get it load tested at a shop or at a battery store. A battery load test will verify the actual cranking capability of the battery. This is the best test. Or you can take a voltmeter and put it on the battery and crank the engine over. (Be sure the battery has a full charge on it.) If the volts drop below 9.6, the battery is bad and needs to be replaced! Just be sure all cable connections are clean and tight. Not only at the battery, but on the starter, engine and frame! Positive side as well as the negative side.

If all checks out, make sure that you have battery voltage on both terminals of the starter when cranking. If full battery voltage (12.6 volts) is present and the starter is not working, then the starter is bad and will need to be replaced! Just be sure all fuses small regular and large size fuses are good under the hood, as well as inside the vehicle
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

Are there any security lights on or flashing when this happens?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The lights flicker a little