Tim Mohr, ase master
Experience:  30 yrs experience in Foriegn and Domestic, Gas and Diesel
17454363

2000 Mazda Protege: drum brakes in rear..tested

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Mazda Protege with drum brakes in rear. After I did one side I tested the vehicle. Before putting on the drum I tested to see if the drum was free. It is, However when I tighten the wheel and drive the vehicle, I hear a sound from that side. Also
the wheel became hot. I also checked the parking brake and it is not holding on side of where bake was replaced. Need help please. Also I checked that side with the previous side and everything looks the same. The difference is the parking brake operator lever assembly. the piece was accidentally turned.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
tsmodie :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX you only replace the shoes, or did you do the drums too?

Customer :

No, I only replaced the shoes. The drums are in good condition. The shoes are bonded. They are not riveted

Customer :

the shoes had some meat left on them

tsmodie :

then it is possible you got a bad set of shoes, the bonded shoes are the cheap ones, and the quality control is poor, we have seen where they have too much material on them and can cause them to drag, also I have seen the width of them too great and when you bolt down the tire, the shoes rub on the side of the drum, with the wheel off, try and rotate the drum, if it turns, then put 2 lug nuts on the drum only, and leave the tire off, tighten them down, if the wheel is hard to turn, then replace the shoes with a better quality shoe,Tim

Customer :

I checked the width of shoes both are identical. The original shoes are also bonded.

tsmodie :

does the wheel rotate with the drum bolted on?

Customer :

I am not sure. If it does what is my next step. Also if it does not what is my next step

tsmodie :

if it makes noise or is hard to turn, then i would reinstall the old pads and see if it still makes noise, if it doesnt, then the new shoes are not the correct size

tsmodie :

did you back off the adjusters when you did the new brakes?

Customer :

No I did not back off the adjusters. How do you perform this step

Customer :

Also if the wheel rotates freely with just two bolts on and no tire, just the drum what is my next step

tsmodie :

inbetween the shoes, at the top, is the adjuster, you need to back this all the way off, when installing new shoes, the adjuster self adjust when the shoes wear, so it will be too tight with the new shoes, back off the star wheel on the adjuster untill the drum turns freely on the wheel, when bolted down,This is probably the problem, the shoes are too tight,Tim

Customer :

No, the drum rotates freely and there is a large amount of space between the shoes and the drum.

Customer :

At the top I see the brake cylinder no adjuster

tsmodie :

just under the wheel cylinder is an adjuster, with a star wheel, this goes inbetween the 2 shoes and when adjusted, moves the shoes out, does it make noise when the wheel is on and rotated?