Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified technician
10437779

2004 MAZDA MPV DTC PO 431 WARM UP CATALYST EFFICIENCY BELOW

Customer Question

2004 MAZDA MPV DTC PO 431 WARM UP CATALYST EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHHOLD(BANK 2). IS BANK 2 ON THE DRIVERS SIDE OR THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE CAR? IS THE WARM UP CATALYST AT THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD OR TOWARDS THE REAR?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

The B bank is the front bank of the engine. The usual cause of that code is the converter. If you have less than 80,000 miles this may be covered under the Federal emissions warranty.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
HI RICHARD:

THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWER.

ONE MORE QUESTION, SHOULD THE CONVERTER AND SENSOR BE PURCHASED FROM A DEALER OR IS AN AFTER MARKET CONVERTER ACCEPTABLE? THE AFTER MARKET CONVERTER IS A LOT LESS EXPENSIVE.

EMAIL ME YOUR ADDRESS AND I WILL SEND YOU $20.00 BILL.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Honestly I have not had much success with after market converters. I would recommend the Mazda parts. Unfortunately we cannot exchange email addresses. If you would like you can add a Bonus (tip) and give feedback if you would like. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
RICHARD, THANK YOU FOR YOUR PROMPT RESPONSES. I'LL TRY TO INDENTIFY BANK 2 TOMORROW MORNING AS IT'S 103 DEGREES OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW.

CAN YOU GIVE ME A PHYSICAL ADDRESS SO I CAN SEND YOU A $20.00 BILL FOR YOUR HELP. I CAN'T USE MY CREDIT CARD RIGHT NOW.

THANKS,

GEORGE
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Ok just let me know when you are able to get back on the van. It is against site rules for me to give you any of my personal info.