Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

1990 Miata: jerks..I accelerate or let off of the gas

Customer Question

My 1990 Miata jerks when I accelerate or let off of the gas. What is the problem?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi

What do you mean by jerks do you think it jerking from the automatic box or engine .

is the check engine light on?

when it jerks do you also have a clanking or knocking sound

For further assistance please let me know.
Regards Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is a 5 speed manual. When I accelerate or let off on the gas, the car will lurch a couple of times. It feels like the car is going to stall, and in fact, the car has died at very low speed.

I just bought this car. It is a make over job, new tires, brakes, timing belt, spark plugs, water pump, a/c compressor, etc.

The motor runs strong, but I want to fix the problem when changing pressure on the accelerator.
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
So your car jerks when you accelerate in gear, does the engine miss when you accelerate when stationary and in N .

Is your check engine light on
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, the engine does not miss in neutral. The check engine light does not come on.
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Do you feel that this could be a clutch problem will it do it each time you change gear?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, it shifts good.
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
I'm trying to figure out your problem can you try and explain a bit more

thanks Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, I am in 3rd. gear for example, when I let off on the accelerator, the car jerks a couple of times. Of course I put in the clutch and the jerking stops.

Could it be something with the timing? They put in a new timing belt.
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Ok cool,

When you let out the clutch, do you feel it jerk a few time till the clutch is fully let out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, there is no jerking of the clutch.
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi i'm going to see if another expert can help you,
i've not come across anything like this.
so to save you time i will opt out.

kind regards Greg