Ryan
Ryan, Engineer
Experience:  B.S. in Civil Engineering
40260889

What is the question The answer is about 2300 This is how is

Customer Question

What is the question
The answer is about 2300
This is how is written in my 4th grade son home wrok, can you help.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Math Homework
Expert:  Ryan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using the site. I'll be happy to help if I can.

My first guess would be that this has something to do with estimating or rounding. However, there are many possibilities that could go with this "answer". Is there any other information available?

If you can take a picture of the assignment and post that, there might be some context that gives some clue as to what this is aiming at.

Thanks,

Ryan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My grandson Is in 4th grade
The math question is
What is the question The answer is about 2300 times.
All the questions are about division
Expert:  Ryan replied 1 month ago.

Ok.

If this is a "free response" type of question, then he could say something like:

"How many times does 2 go into 4600?"

or

"How many times does 3 go into 6900?"

or

"How many times does 5 go into 11,500?"

Does that seem like the kind of answer that they are looking for?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I already pay the company, if a phone call is 34.00 dollars more, then let's just text. The question is what is written in the paper. There is not more explanations, can you help.?
Expert:  Ryan replied 1 month ago.

Did you see the three possibilities I mentioned above?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what will be your answer in this particular question for a 4th grade student
Expert:  Ryan replied 1 month ago.

Of those three options, I would go with the first one considering the age group.

"How many times does 2 go into 4600?"

The answer to that question would be "about 2300" (actually, it is exactly 2300).

Please understand that I'm in the dark quite a bit here since I can't see the paper and have no idea what has been covered in his class up to this point, or what the teacher's intent might be.

Ryan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand, most of the questions were divisions, for example he was ask if a coin cost 260 dollars and the person save 3 dollars per week, did he have enough to buy the coin. I explained how to resolve, but I was zero answer in this one.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will go with the answer that you suggest, I will like though to let you know if that was the intended question. I will still pay you. Agree.
Expert:  Ryan replied 1 month ago.

I understand. It can be very frustrating trying to help you child with their homework when you weren't there to hear the instructions, and the teacher isn't available to consult with. I went through the same thing with my children.

If there is anything else that I can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask.

(Yes, I would be interested in knowing if this is what they were looking for with this question, or if it was something else.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As per my daughter she doesn't think is the correct answer because the answer is About 2300 not equal 2300. But I will go with that answer 1 wrong out of 50 is not bad. I will let you know though. Thank you
Expert:  Ryan replied 1 month ago.

If you don't want an exact answer (and I can see the debate there), you could change it to something like:

"How many times does 2 go into 4601?"