Ryan
Ryan, Engineer
Experience:  B.S. in Civil Engineering
40260889

5 questions Basic Soil Water Math Calculations. Due by 7pm

Customer Question

5 questions Basic Soil Water Math Calculations. Due by 7pm1. You have a 100 cm3 sample of soil A. The sample is oven dried and weighed. The weight is 160 g.What is the bulk density of soil A? ___________________What is the % porosity of soil A? ____________________2. You have a 100 cm3 sample of soil B. The sample is oven dried and weighed. The weight is 120 g.What is the bulk density of soil B? ___________________What is the % porosity of soil B? ____________________Which soil (A or B) can hold more water when saturated? _____________________3. You obtain a soil sample with a volume of 400 cm3. It has a moist weight of 450 g and an oven- dry weight of 400 g. Determine the soil bulk density, the porosity, the volumetric water content and the gravimetric water content.porosity, _____________________________________________volumetric water content ________________________________gravimetric water content. _______________________________4. You obtain a soil sample with a volume of 400 cm3. It has a moist weight of 450 g and an oven- dry weight of 350 g. Determine the soil bulk density, the porosity, the volumetric water content and the gravimetric water content.porosity, _____________________________________________volumetric water content ________________________________gravimetric water content. _______________________________Is the soil saturated? ______________________________________How do you know? _______________________________________5. You obtain a soil sample with a volume of 200 cm3. It has a moist weight of 250 g and an oven- dry weight of 200 g. Determine the soil bulk density, the porosity, the volumetric water content and the gravimetric water content.porosity, _____________________________________________volumetric water content ________________________________gravimetric water content. _______________________________What is the total volume of water in this soil? ____________________________________What volume of water would be required to completely saturate this soil? _____________
Category: Math Homework
Expert:  Ryan replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using the site. I'll be happy to help you with these problems.

Which time zone is the 7 pm deadline referring to?

Ryan

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Eastern
Expert:  Ryan replied 3 months ago.

Ok, thanks.

Expert:  Ryan replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

For the first two questions, do you have any additional information about Soil A and Soil B?

Also, what textbook is your course using?

Thanks,

Ryan

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Elements of The Nature and Properties of Soil. That's all the info we were given.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think the answer to 1. the bulk density is 1.6 g/cm3
Expert:  Ryan replied 3 months ago.

Yes, that is correct.

The issue that I am having with the first two is in calculating the porosity. According to my soils book, that would be the volume of voids, divided by the total volume, multiplied by 100%. With the information given, I don't yet see how you can get the volume of voids, unless your course has taught you to assume some certain value if it is not given.

Do you have an example problem from class that might shed some light on the precise approach you are expected to follow?

The remaining three problems shouldn't pose this difficulty as it appears that sufficient information is given to perform the calculations.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If I am right that makes % porosity
(1−
1.6
2.65
)(100)
=(1+−0.603774)(100)=(1)(100)+(−0.603774)(100)=100−60.377358=39.622642
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
porosity is [1-(1.5/2.65)]*100I think
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
DP is always 2.65 g/cm
Expert:  Ryan replied 3 months ago.

Yes, 2.65 g/cm^3 is a common assumed value for the density of solids. I just didn't know if your book allowed that assumption.

Thanks, ***** ***** things up.

Expert:  Ryan replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

Here are the solutions:

Soil Calcs

Please note that for many of these, there is more than one form of equation that can be used. The answers should come out the same either way, but the calculations may look different from your course material. If that is a problem, please let me know and I will make whatever adjustments I can.

Please also feel free to ask if you have questions about any of these solutions.

Thanks,

Ryan

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am not able to download this.
Expert:  Ryan replied 3 months ago.

Are you using a computer that blocks that site? Many school and work computer systems do that.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, I am on my home computer. It just keeps saying there is an error. Does it have to go through that site? It can't just be attached to this?
Expert:  Ryan replied 3 months ago.

I'll try attaching it here. Please let me know if the new link works for you.