Ryan
Ryan, Engineer
Experience:  B.S. in Civil Engineering
40260889

Identify the SSE, s^2 and s. Show how s^2 has been

Customer Question

Identify the SSE, s^2 and s. Show how s^2 has been calculated from SSE and other numbers.
Find the total variation, the unexplained variation and the explained variation
ANOVA df SS MS F Sig F
Regression 2 7374 3687 351 .0000009
Residual 2 74 11
Total 9 7448
Regression
Multiple R - 0.9950
R^2 - 0.9901
Adj R^2 - 0.9873
Stand Err - 3.2416
Obs - 10
Category: Math Homework
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using the site. I'll have the solutions posted shortly.

Ryan

Expert:  Ryan replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Here are the solutions:

Regression

Clicking on the above link will take you to a page where you can download the solutions as a Word document.

Please feel free to ask if you have questions about any of these solutions.

Thanks,

Ryan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I omitted the last question on the exercise:
Find the p-value related to F(model). Using the p-value, test the significance of the linear regression model by setting a= .10, .05, .01 and .001.
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 months ago.

Ok, no problem.

From the table, the p-value for the test is listed in the last column, under the heading "Sig F". The value is 0.0000009.

This p-value is less than any of the values of alpha listed ("0.10, 0.05, 0.01, and 0.001"). As a result, the linear regression model is significant at all of those values of alpha.

Please note that there are issues with the ANOVA table that was given in this problem. I already mentioned the number of degrees of freedom for the Residual line being incorrect, although I suspect that is simply a typo. There is also some significant rounding off of the MS values, and by extension the F value. When I use either the given F value, or the "correct" value, I get a p-value of 0.0000001, which is significantly less than the given value of 0.0000009.

I mention all this only because I can foresee some potential issues with the "correct" answers, as it is impossible for me to know whether your course expects you to blindly use the values as given, or if they expect you to calculate things yourself. If any of this comes back to you marked incorrect, please feel free to contact me. I'll be happy to try to help straighten things out if I can.

Thanks,

Ryan