Ryan, Engineer
Experience:  B.S. in Civil Engineering

How do I solve the following equation..... I need the steps.

Customer Question

How do I solve the following equation..... I need the steps. Thanks! Find the z -score location of a vertical line that separates a normal distribution as described in each of the following. A. 20% in the tail on the left
JA: The Math Tutor can help you get an A on your homework or ace your next test. Is there anything else important you think the Math Tutor should know?
Customer: No, I just need help with this question
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Math Homework
Expert:  Ryan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using the site. I'll be happy to help you with this.

There are a few ways that you can approach this, depending on the resources available to you.

If you have Excel, you can enter "=normsinv(0.20)" into a cell, which will give you the result z = -0.8416.

If you have tables, then you would locate the entry in the table that is closest to 0.20 and read off the corresponding z value. You may need to interpolate between values to get an accurate answer. Most tables of the normal distribution, however, give the right side tail area. You can use the symmetry of the distribution though to solve the problem. Find the z value that corresponds with a right tail area of 0.20, and then add a negative sign to the z value to get the final answer.

You can also use a statistical calculator. I like the one at this site. Simply click the button under the "Left tail" graph, enter 0.20 in the "probability" box, and then click the arrow that points from the probability box toward the z-value box. The result is -0.8416.

Please feel free to ask if you have any additional questions about this.