Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Inner-city high school substitute teacher. Degrees in mathemetics, accounting, and education. Years and years of tutoring.
29937297

I need help creating a mathematical formula I can use while

Customer Question

Hey I need help creating a mathematical formula I can use while BASE jumping. So I can calculate every thing about my jump. How long I will free fall when I need to pull my parachute and counting in seconds. How long I will have under the canopy to land. So it needs to include the deceleration of a parachute.
Category: Math Homework
Expert:  Ray Atkinson replied 1 year ago.

Canopies take between 2 and 5 seconds to open. At 2 seconds, that is a deceleration of 113 mph or a quite painful 5.5Gs. Five seconds is better at 1.1G

Work backwards.

How long do you need to be under canopy to land safely?

Add 5 seconds for the canopy to make sure it is going to open - you don't want to be, as my grandfather called it, "jumping to a conclusion."

Decide how long you want to be in complete freefall for.

Add the 12 seconds from take-off to freefall.

The number of feet you need to be above your landing area is...

Acceleration + freefall seconds (s)+ canopy + landing seconds (a) = 750 + 183s + 503 + 18a

You need to decide what S and A are. If your chute opens in less than 5 seconds, then the 503 will be smaller. It is the integral of 183-([183-18]/5)x from x=0 to x=5. Change the fives into smaller numbers and the distance will be smaller while the G load will be bigger.