Ryan
Ryan, Engineer
Experience:  B.S. in Civil Engineering
40260889

I am looking linear project college algebra class

Customer Question

I am looking for ideas for a linear project for my college algebra class
Category: Math Homework
Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thank you for using the site.

There are many examples of linear relationships that you could use.

On the one hand, you could create a situation that is perfectly linear, such as determining the total income of the local paper boy as a function of the number of papers that he delivers. The income function will have the form y = mx + b, where y is the paper boy's income, m is the income per paper, x is the number of papers, and b is any fixed income (which could also be zero).

I suspect, however, that the instructions that were given to you suggest that you find a data set that is linear-ish, rather than coming up with a perfectly linear equation. Finding suitable real data can be difficult (and exhausting). A popular approach is to select an Olympic sport (because records are easy to obtain, see www.olympic.org), and record the times in that event over several years. Surprisingly, over the long-term, the improvements in times tends to be close to linear.

If it is permissible to create a fictitious data set, you could also "record" the height and weight of classmates. Provided that you avoid those who deviate extremely from "normal", the relationship should be fairly linear. You could also make up something about the number of fruit trees that various farmers have and the total yield of their crop, or the number of books in a student's backpack and the total weight of the pack. Pretty much anything that is more or less proportional will work.

Ryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ryan,I am not a math person and I need to get through college algebra. That topic has already been used by a classmate. I did a cut and paste from the syllabus on the Linear Project and its requirements.Curve-fitting Project - Linear ModelInstructionsFor this assignment, collect data exhibiting a relatively linear trend, find the line of best fit, plot the data and the line, interpret the slope, and use the linear equation to make a prediction. Also, find r2 (coefficient of determination) and r (correlation coefficient). Discuss your findings. Your topic may be that is related to sports, your work, a hobby, or something you find interesting. If you choose, you may use the suggestions described below.A Linear Model Example and Technology Tips are provided in separate documents.Tasks for Linear Regression Model (LR)(LR-1) Describe your topic, provide your data, and cite your source. Collect at least 8 data points. Label appropriately. (Highly recommended: Post this information in the Linear Model Project discussion as well as in your completed project. Include a brief informative description in the title of your posting. Each student must use different data.)
The idea with the discussion posting is two-fold: (1) To share your interesting project idea with your classmates, and (2) To give me a chance to give you a brief thumbs-up or thumbs-down about your proposed topic and data. Sometimes students get off on the wrong foot or misunderstand the intent of the project, and your posting provides an opportunity for some feedback. Remark: Students may choose similar topics, but must have different data sets. For example, several students may be interested in a particular Olympic sport, and that is fine, but they must collect different data, perhaps from different events or different gender.(LR-2) Plot the points (x, y) to obtain a scatterplot. Use an appropriate scale on the horizontal and vertical axes and be sure to label carefully. Visually judge whether the data points exhibit a relatively linear trend. (If so, proceed. If not, try a different topic or data set.)(LR-3) Find the line of best fit (regression line) and graph it on the scatterplot. State the equation of the line.(LR-4) State the slope of the line of best fit. Carefully interpret the meaning of the slope in a sentence or two.(LR-5) Find and state the value of r2, the coefficient of determination, and r, the correlation coefficient. Discuss your findings in a few sentences. Is r positive or negative? Why? Is a line a good curve to fit to this data? Why or why not? Is the linear relationship very strong, moderately strong, weak, or nonexistent?(LR-6) Choose a value of interest and use the line of best fit to make an estimate or prediction. Show calculation work.(LR-7) Write a brief narrative of a paragraph or two. Summarize your findings and be sure to mention any aspect of the linear model project (topic, data, scatterplot, line, r, or estimate, etc.) that you found particularly important or interesting.You may submit all of your project in one document or a combination of documents, which may consist of word processing documents or spreadsheets or scanned handwritten work, provided it is clearly labeled where each task can be found. Be sure to include your name. Projects are graded on the basis of completeness, correctness, ease in locating all of the checklist items, and strength of the narrative portions.
Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.

I assume that you are referring to the Olympics suggestion. Keep in mind that there are many events in both the Summer and Winter games, as well as Men's vs Women's events. There are many to pick from. My interpretation of the instructions is that you need to have a data set that is different from the other students, meaning that two students shouldn't be using the exact same Olympic event.

Of course, if your instructor has already steered you away from that topic, then the decision has been made for you.

Ryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ryan,
I went back and read the instructions. I can do an Olympics topic as long as it is different . So how do I get started with this?
Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.

Visit the Olympics page at www.olympic.org, and click on the "Sports" tab near the top of the page.

On the Sports page, down a little ways on the right hand side is a box titled "Games Results". Use the settings in that box to select a specific Olympic year, a sport, and a specific event. Then click on "View Event Results".

When you get the results page, record the time for the gold medal winner in that event.

You can then use the drop-down menus at the top of the page to get results for that same event in a different year. All you need to do is change the first of the three drop-down menus.

Record the times for at least 8 Olympic years.

Once you have the data that you want to use, you can send it to your instructor for approval, if necessary.

When you are ready to move on with the assignment, just send me the data and I can do the rest.

Ryan