Ryan
Ryan, Engineer
Experience:  B.S. in Civil Engineering
40260889

I need this assignment completed today

Customer Question

I need this assignment completed today
Category: Math Homework
Expert:  Ashok Kumar replied 1 year ago.
Kindly forward the questions. I will try to help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are a census officer in a newly democratic nation and you have been charged with using the census data from the table below to determine how 100 congressional seats should be divided among the 10 states of the union.
State
Population
1
15475
2
35644
3
98756
4
88346
5
369
6
85663
7
43427
8
84311
9
54730
10
25467
Being a fan of United States history, you are familiar with the many methods of apportionment applied to this problem to achieve fair representation in the US House of Representatives. You decide that apportionment (chapter 11, sections 1-4 in your textbook) is the best approach to solving this problem, but need to compare several methods and then determine which is actually fair.
Using the Hamilton method of apportionment, determine the number of seats each state should receive.
Using the numbers you just calculated from applying the Hamilton method, determine the average constituency for each state. Explain your decision making process for allocating the remaining seats.
Calculate the absolute and relative unfairness of this apportionment.
Explain how changes in state boundaries or populations could affect the balance of representation in this congress. Provide an example using the results above.
How and why could an Alabama Paradox occur?
Explain how applying the Huntington-Hill apportionment method helps to avoid an Alabama Paradox.
Based upon your experience in solving this problem, do you feel apportionment is the best way to achieve fair representation? Be sure to support your answer.
Suggest another strategy that could be applied to achieve fair representation either using apportionment methods or a method of your choosing.
You may perform your own calculations or use either the Excel spreadsheet or the
Sorry. I won't be able to solve it and will prefer to opt out. Some other expert will help you.
Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using the site. I'm sorry that I was not able to reply sooner. Here are the solutions for these questions:
Apportionment (Word)
Apportionment (Excel)
Please feel free to ask if you have any additional questions about this.
Thanks,
Ryan