dhouse1940
dhouse1940, Master's Degree
Experience:  BS mathematics, MS biostatistics, 35+ yrs designing & analyzing biological experiments.
19117805

For any population, a z-score of +1.00 corresponds to a location

For any population, a z-score of +1.00 corresponds to a location exactly 10 points above the mean.
True
False

2. On an exam, Tom scored 8 points above the mean and had a z-score of +2.00. The standard deviation for the set of exam scores must be s = 4.
True
False

3. If two individuals in a population have identical X scores, they also will have identical z-scores.
True
False

4. A population with m = 85 and s = 12 is transformed into z-scores. After the transformation, the population of z-scores will have a standard deviation of _____.
s = 12
s = 1.00
s = 0
cannot be determined from the information given

5. For a population with a mean of m = 100, what is the z-score corresponding to a score that is located 10 points below the mean?
+1
–1
–10
cannot answer without knowing the standard deviation

6. The Unit Normal Table lists proportions for any distribution, provided that the distribution has been transformed into z-scores.
True
False

7. A population forms a normal distribution with m = 80 and s = 10. In this population, 42.07% of the scores are less than X = 78.
True
False

8. What is the probability of randomly selecting a z-score less than z = –0.80 from a normal distribution?
0.7881
0.2119
–0.7881
–0.2119

9. In a normal distribution, what z-score value separates the highest 90% of the scores from the rest of the distribution?
z = 1.28
z = –1.28
z = 0.13
z = –0.13

10. For any normal distribution, what are the z-score values that form the boundaries for the middle 80%?
z = ±0.25
z = ±0.52
z = ±0.84
z = ±1.28

Dennis :

1. False

2. True

3. True

4. s = 1

5. cannot answer without knowing the standard deviation

6. True

7. True

8. 0.2119

9. z = – 1.28

10. z = ±1.28

Please click on ACCEPT so I get credit. A bonus would be appreciated and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Customer:

I was mostly checking to see if my answers were right, and I see I'm still getting the positive and negatives mixed up. Thanks so much.