Charles
Charles, Marine Tech
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) I have been installing Marine Electronics for over a decade now.
67216606

Mate, I have a new simrad nss 12, that frankly is

Customer Question

mate, I have a new simrad nss 12 , that frankly is disappointing me to the max, we have had to abort two fishing trips, and this is the height of our summer season, simply put the G P S will not show the boats location , sometimes might come to life after a half hour os , and sometimes just will not work, at all, just shows the boat location as being where it was last turned off,
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Electronics Specialist should know?
Customer: i have carefully checked all the cables etc, including the antenna on the cabin top, the problem is intermittent, but last trip was aborted 15 miles off shore, and when we returned to the shore it was back reading, very frustrating,
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Charles replied 7 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 7 days ago.

There are a few things that you can try to improve the GPS on the unit. First, if you are using a map card, remove it and see if the unit will acquire faster and at the current boat location. if so, update the map card. Ensuring that you are running the latest software on the NSS is always important. Even a new unit out of the box would need to be updated. Ensuring the the unit is actually getting proper voltage to it would also be on the list to check. Do this with a multimeter in the plug to the unit. This would show you what is actually getting there and not what the boat is supplying.