Joe
Joe, Marine Electronics Installer
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a Garmin 4208 and the transducer is not showing the

Customer Question

I have a Garmin 4208 and the transducer is not showing the sonar; it will give me speed and water temp. but no picture of the bottom. I bought a new transducer and still not working.
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: All I know is 4208 and it is a 2010 model i believe
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It was working intermittently then stopped all together; I checked connections with no luck, So I was told to buy a new transducer?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Other than check the connections and buy a new one, none
JA: Anything else you want the gps expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Joe replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Does it give a picture sitting still but not under way? If so I would suggest checking the number one issue would be air/turbulence in the water which can be caused by chines, thru-hull fittings, bulk heads, anything forward of the ducer or near it that can cause turbulence as well as too close to the leg/unit/drive, tabs etc.

If not the above then check how the ducer is mounted, I will need to know if thru-hull, in-hull flush mount or if transom mounted.

Next would be to check the connectors ESP if you have an extender cable between ducer cable and main unit, check the connections for bent pins, corrosion, etc. You could also have a bad main unit.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.